Display SVG images in a CHM

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Venti
Jr. Propeller Head

Display SVG images in a CHM

Post by Venti »

I'm exporting my topics to a CHM file, but the SVGs can't be displayed properly.
The SVGs are displayed properly in other output formats, such as PDF and HTML5, but for CHM it crashes. I've tried to use other vector graphics but the result is still the same. Any way to solve this issue?
SVG.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Display SVG images in a CHM

Post by RamonS »

Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

It's.an issue with chm viewer if created in we help they,should appear correctly
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

We also experienced SVG images not being displayed in CHMs but did not have any crashing issues. To work around this for our CHM targets, in the Advanced tab of the target file we check the Generate "web-safe" images checkbox and specify an appropriate file type from the drop-down. We use PNG and produce decent quality images.
Kellie
Venti
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Venti »

Thanks for everybody's response.
It's like the CHM can't accept vector images. I've tried other vector formats but in no use. SVG works properly in Web Help.
I use PNG instead.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I'm pretty certain (but not 100%) chms cannot display vector images. If you have to use vector images can you use webhelp instead?

I don't think the chm viewer has been updated for a long time and is based on an older (much older) version of IE.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Or, in the Advanced tab of the target file you can check the Generate "web-safe" images checkbox and specify an appropriate file type from the drop-down.
Kellie
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

You should be able to display SVGs in HTML Help.

By default, the HTML Help target is set to IE 7 standards mode, and that doesn't support SVGs.

To change this:
1. Open the target Advanced tab.
2. Make sure Add meta tags to content is ticked.
3. In the box below, make sure that content is set to IE=edge instead of IE=7.

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
Now, I'm not sure why MadCap set it to IE7, so I'm not sure if there would be any side-effects to changing that.
So I'd suggest checking the output, and perhaps ask MadCap tech support if there is a technical reason.

Edit: I've just seen link posted by RamonS; that says the same thing about the IE7 standards mode, it needs to be IE9 or higher (which edge is).
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Edge indicates to use the highest version of IE found on the system. Make sure that there is nothing else in the help that would require quirks mode, there is still way too much IE6-only js code around.
Long term look into replacing CHM. Although it is still the Microsoft recommended help format even on Win 10 the battleship gray CHM looks so 90ish.