Search tab is not working

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Venti
Jr. Propeller Head

Search tab is not working

Post by Venti »

I produced an CHM file but the search always shows "No Topic Found." According to Flare knowledge base, it's because itcc.dll is not successfully registered.
I've already tried the workaround provided in the knowledge base and in this forum, but in no use. Even if I run the RegisterItcc.bat as administrator, it still shows the error message:

The module "itcc.dll" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.

I've also used cmd.exe to register it. Still not working.
I'm using Windows 10 and MadCap Flare v11. Has anybody solved the same issue with the same Windows and Flare version?
jameslab
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Search tab is not working

Post by jameslab »

I am having the same problem.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

I've had this issue before (though not on Win 10) and registering the dll you mention resolved it. Here are some links you may find helpful. Also, while this shouldn't matter you may want to note that (a) there is more than one way to register a file in Windows so you may want to try all of them and (b) after registering you have to rebuild the chm. Good luck.

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishi ... 50592.html

http://old.itauthor.com/2010/11/21/fix- ... hm-output/
young@heart
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by young@heart »

I have just had to go through this process again after changing computers and as previously it solved the 'No topics found' search issue in CHM builds. However, this time the search entry box is defaulting to the last entered search term. While in itself this barely worth a mention, the key user has noted it as annoying and queries the change in functionality.
Maybe it's caused by hidden browser changes, O/S changes or something else other than Flare itself. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Flare version is 11.1.2, O/S - Windows 7, and IE is V11.0.96..... with updates applied.
Phil - I think therefore I think I am.
GDonn
Propeller Head

Post by GDonn »

I had the same problem with using Flare 12. There are 2 things that need to be fixed when using the KB fix found here:

http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... =OUTH1003F

Where it tells you to type this into the command prompt...cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V[VERSION]\Flare.app\Resources\bin"

1 - Check to see if Flare is installed in C:\Program Files\ . If it is, get rid of (x86) in the command.
2 - For Flare 12 users, get rid of the "V" since the folder that's being pointed to is "Flare 12", not Flare V12.

The (x86) jumped out at me but the V caused me headaches until I had one of those "D'oh" moments! I hope this helps anyone else who might be having issues with this

Of course my next step will be to rebuild the CHM. Don't forget to do this!
amshogren
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by amshogren »

I am using Flare 11 and Windows 7. The KB article was spot on. I was able to successfully register the itcc.dll and then generate the .chm file with a working Search tab.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Not sure who needs to know, but the knowledge base needs to be updated to reflect 64-bit Flare.

If you have installed 64-bit Flare 12, substitute this sentence:
4.cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V[VERSION]\Flare.app\Resources\bin"◦Be sure to enter the correct version of Flare that's installed: "MadCap Flare V8", "MadCap Flare V7", "MadCap Flare V6", ect...

with this:

4.cd "C:\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare 12\Flare.app\Resources\bin".

They've taken out the V in the application name, and it's not in the x86 folder either. Other than that, the info is correct.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Not sure who needs to know, but the knowledge base needs to be updated to reflect 64-bit Flare.
I suggest you submit a bug report to MadCap so this gets some attention. None of us MVPs have any access to KB source. Some of us have contributed to articles, but MadCap controls the source.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!