Windows 10 - Fonts problem

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Windows 10 - Fonts problem

Post by GeorgeBell »

We've just been smacked in the face by an unexpected problem with Windows 10.

For what I believed are all the right reasons, we have used Arial Unicode MS as the main font in our project. It has a far wider range of characters available.

However, when the application as a whole was being tested on a virgin Windows 10 system, the above font had been substituted in Help.

After some not inconsiderable investigation, we discovered that not only was the font missing, it is not even installed with Windows 10. It does however get installed with Microsoft Office, which explains why we had not seen this issue before.

Flare's e-book option allows fonts to be embedded. Word even allows fonts to be embedded. But Flare's own Help, by omission, suggests that this cannot be done for a .CHM compilation.

Or am I missing something somewhere?

George
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Windows 10 - Fonts problem

Post by NorthEast »

You can embed fonts in HTML/web-based content, including Flare's HTML Help (CHM), HTML5 and WebHelp outputs.

The way to do this is to use the CSS @font-face rule.
You use @font-face to define the font name and where your font files are located, and you can then use that font in your CSS.
I'd suggest reading:
http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr ... e_rule.asp
https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/
Wendy F
Propeller Head

Post by Wendy F »

We just came upon a problem similar to this. However, due to security reasons, many of our end-users are not connected to the internet. As I understand it, the @fontface direction goes out to the internet to get the proper font. Other than having our CSS back to a system font, is there anything that we can do to build in our preferred font? (Noto Sans)
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

You can have local fonts referenced in @font-face, and have those in a fonts sub-directory of Content | Resources | Stylesheets. Flare will install those local fonts and reference CSS correctly etc, and as far as I'm aware there should be no going out to the internet to fetch anything. Here is our CSS:

Code: Select all

@font-face {
  font-family: 'Glyphicons Halflings';
  src: url('fonts/symbol-icon-font.eot'); /* IE9 Compat Modes */
  src: url('fonts/symbol-icon-font.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'), /* IE6-IE8 */
       url('fonts/symbol-icon-font.woff') format('woff'), /* Pretty Modern Browsers */
       url('fonts/symbol-icon-font.ttf')  format('truetype'), /* Safari, Android, iOS */
       url('fonts/symbol-icon-font.svg#svgFontName') format('svg'); /* Legacy iOS */
}