Windows 10 - web page might not be displayed correctly

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Windows 10 - web page might not be displayed correctly

Post by Techno »

I have two projects. One will display as expected in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The second displays OK in Windows 7, but in Windows 10 we get an error at the top of each page which says, "The web page might not be displayed properly. The content of the web page does not match the type specified by the server. Click here for options..."

Has anyone seen this, and found a solution?
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Windows 10 - web page might not be displayed correctly

Post by RamonS »

The two reason I can think of are that the browser thinks that the content received is not the type of content specified in the page, in other words the MIME type is specified incorrectly. You should be able to find the difference between the working and non-working page by looking at the page source and there more specifically at the ContentType declaration in the header. See http://www.freeformatter.com/mime-types-list.html
The other reason I can think of is mixed content. When you pull the content from a web server some content is served using SSL (HTTPS) and some is served plain (HTTP), most modern browsers do not like this and will show an error.
There might be other reasons. Can you take a look at the browser console and see if there are any errors reported?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Do other CHM files work in Windows 10? I thought CHM was a deprecated standard from Microsoft.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

No CHMs are not depricated although Microsoft makes no effort in enhancing that platform.
Speaking of which....what I mentioned earlier was under the impression that this is about web help. For CHMs it may not apply. Nevertheless, since the CHM viewer uses the IE engine it can very well be that Internet Options play a role here.

Is there any dynamic content at play here like additional javascript? Any external content?
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

I took this issue up with Madcap, who appear to claim it's not a Flare issue, but admit their research indicated it was a problem they saw reported on Robohelp forums, though no solution offered.

I'm never quite sure what information to provide, but to explain things more, we have developed a dot Net application which runs in Word. This is designed to look at Styles used in a Word document, and Styles available in a braille translation program. A "Style Map" table is displayed in Word, and the user can then "map" a Word Style to a braille Style. Hence things like Word's "Heading 1" Style is mapped to braille Style "h1.", "Heading 2" to "h2." and Headings 3 - 9 are each mapped to h3..

The end result is stored in a special plain text mapping file.

HTML Help in the form of a .chm was created by Flare 11.

All works as it should in Word 2007 up to 2016, and in Windows 7, Help does what it says on the tin.

However, on Windows 10, we get the error about page might not be displayed correctly.

We have even done various tests using .chm's from other applications, renaming these and running from our application. The majority work in Windows 10 without displaying any errors, which suggests the problem is with our own Help for this project.

However, we have also created three totally new Flare projects, and get the same result.

Madcap still say it's not their software to blame.

Hence we are going round in circles and am getting close to raising a small fortune to see if Microsoft even can solve this, but suspect they will only pass the buck once again.

I'm also willing to bet that in a few months time, someone will experience the same thing using Flare. We just have the bad luck to be first.