Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm#

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
DebbieH
Jr. Propeller Head

Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm#

Post by DebbieH »

I imported a project from Robohelp and can compile using HTML5 but when I compile using HTML Help, I cant open the compiled .chm file. I get this message:
This page can’t be displayed
Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm# is correct.

Please any help would be appreciated. I have been googling the entire day and tried many many fixes but nothing worked. I am running Windows 10, but cant open the compiled file on a Windows 7 pc either.

I've tried just compiling with one topic but I still get the same error.
MoJoe
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.

Post by MoJoe »

I have the exact same problem. The .chm seems to build okay but when I view it all I see is "This page can't be displayed. Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm# is correct."

Debbie, did you ever find a solution to this problem? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Do you have a hash (#) in the CHM name? I had that problem once and removing the # fixed it. I think I was using Windows 7 at that point in time.
Casey

C_Baca
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by C_Baca »

Experiencing the same problem. Has anyone found a root cause or fix?
My CHM file opens from links to help in a product wizard. Each wizard is supposed to open a different page in the CHM. The links do open the CHM but "Can't reach this page" opens in the main content frame of the HTML Help window.

Here's the full text of what HTML Help posts in the frame:
Can’t reach this page
Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm# is correct
Search for this site on Bing
Refresh the page

If I can find a fix, I'll post a solution.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

I am getting the same message after compiling and running the CHM.

Did you ever resolve your problem here?
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

Well what I discovered in our case, has shocked us to the core. In a single word, the root of our problem was, "Keywords".

By pure chance, and using an external to Flare tool, a colleague found that we had one Keyword which had just over 1,000 entries. And yet, the Project would compile without any errors or warnings.

So we backed up the project and deleted batches of 100 or so at a time of this one Keyword. (Which takes an age by the way) After a few Builds between deletions, we finally reached a point where the Subject error no longer occurred.

But hey - guess what? At the end of the build log, we began to see warnings that a number of Keywords had been truncated by ##. No indication of what the Keyword limit was.

I can only say that our experience of the Keyword model in flare is a disaster waiting to happen to someone with a seriously large project. We ended up having to spend over a week manually deleting, with long waits in between batches, while the Analyzer re-analyzed.

We've been using Flare almost since it's first release, and have been delighted with what we have achieved for both our Windows and Macintosh Help, but this part of the system clearly [has] Some Unknown Crazy Konundrum in the System.

George
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Definitely sounds like a bug report is needed, but well done for identifying a fix. See my signature for a link to bug reports.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

I have reported this, and am currently exchanging e-mails with them. They cannot replicate the problem, but it is odd that having deleted the occurrence of large number of just one Keyword, not only did the dll issue go away, the Build Log then began to show Keywords which it had truncated.
KHupp
Propeller Head

Post by KHupp »

Has anyone found a solution to this issue. My chm build has started this issue now.
I have concluded it is only within one project as all other projects build their respective chm file without this issue.
My log file is clear of all warnings and errors.
No "#" in my file names.

I see George Bell mentioned finding a keyword referenced over a 1000 times. How do I see how many times a keyword is referenced?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Keith
KHupp
Propeller Head

Post by KHupp »

SOLUTION!!!

Well, solution that fixes my issue...

I found out that the software we develop is primarily C++ and we use ID's to do call outs for help. This makes it easy as I control file placement and names.
Well, this program is an OLD app that was done on DOT Net and uses actually file locations stored within the CHM file to access the different help areas, so any changing within the Flare structure of folders/names means the apps guys need to re-hard code the info.

Being that this was an old program and help file, I decided to make the path structure more efficient... oops.... needless to say after testing the issue, the problem was solved. Now we need to re code all the help call outs...

anyways, that was what caused our "Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm#" issue...

Hope this helps...

Keith
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

I appear to be making some progress towards diagnosing this problem.

Thankfully we have a Software Support contract with Madcap, and will be have a one-to-one in the near future, so hope to report more later.

I have been able to force the issue by gradually adding batches of the same Keyword, to a point where it pops up an error after building the CHM, but before the build finally complete.

However, if you OK that error, (or in the case of Windows 10, miss it altogether) it appears that the Build process has completed OK. Even the build log shows no indication of a problem. But View the output and you get the message displayed in the Subject here.

It would appear that marginally more than 900 occurrences of the same Keyword cause this.

And FWIW, I'm running an HP Pro with an i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHZ, with 8GB of RAM and 64 bit Windows Pro, fully up to date.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

I promised an update after speaking to Madcap Software Support, who spent an hour on Team Viewer with me.

So far all we have been able to establish is that indeed an excess of Keywords is at the root of the problems here. Many of these had been added, albeit what I thought was selectively.

Running a Build where Flare's Analysis reported 15,411 Used Keywords, failed with an out of memory message. However, if somehow you missed that message, or even OK'd it, it appeared to complete. Except that when you attempted to view the CHM, up came the Subject error.

So, I removed, not all, but a batch of the same Keyword. This reported updating 122 files, and a re-run of the Analysis reported 15,209 Used Keywords.

This time the Build complete without error, except that eight Warnings now appeared at the end of the build Log, such as the following.

"2/2/2019 2:43:33 PM - Warning: Too many topics associated to the "Word" keyword. Remaining 84 links truncated."

All I can say pending further response from Madcap, it to suggest looking at Flare's Analysis, and certainly avoid using Flare's automated Keyword option.

George