CHM Help not displaying correctly after InstallShield change

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
EileenP
Propeller Head

CHM Help not displaying correctly after InstallShield change

Post by EileenP »

We've been shipping CHM from the same Flare project for years. Now suddenly it does not display properly on some users' PCs:
- The styles are all wrong (style sheet not being applied)
- Images display as broken links

Two things have changed since our last release:
- I upgraded to Flare 2021 r3
- Our developers upgraded InstallShield and recreated the installation program for our software

My initial thought is the new installation program. I remember that certain files need to be included when shipping CHM. A couple of DLLs and an OCX file?? I remember reading about that in a help topic or the Flare Help years ago, but now I can't find it.

Please, what files need to be included when shipping CHM?

Any other thoughts!

Thanks in advance!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: CHM Help not displaying correctly after InstallShield ch

Post by Nita Beck »

Not sure this sheds any light, but did the installer dev change the path to the CHM or even change the name of the CHM? This KB article is quite old (but then, so is CHM), so perhaps this hints at a solution?

https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/F ... hlight=chm

Actually, I think this could be the issue. Late last year, I had the same issue, when I was trying to manually add a chm to a working copy of an app I was documenting. I too saw that the styles and images were missing. Turns out I was dropping the .chm into the wrong location. Once I put it in the right place (as in, where the application that calls the .chm was expecting it to be), all was well.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
EileenP
Propeller Head

Re: CHM Help not displaying correctly after InstallShield ch

Post by EileenP »

Hmm. Thank you, Nita, but I don't think that's the issue in this case. The CHM file is in the same location as always, and F1 opens the context-sensitive topic as it should.