Link to topic outside project structure

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
ianb-d
Jr. Propeller Head

Link to topic outside project structure

Post by ianb-d »

Anyone know how can I get a link to a topic outside the project structure?

For example, if I have the following structure:

Code: Select all

<Project_folder>
    project.flprj
    <content_folder>
        content_pages

<content_repository>
    other_content_pages

Whenever I build project.flprj I never get the entry for other_content_pages, only a "cannot display this page" message.
When looking at the XML TOC, all references seem to start from the <project_folder>, but if I try a path of ../<content_repository> the output HTML Help TOC has a path of something like
../../../../../Project/<content_repository>/<content_page>.htm, so will never find anything as this path does not exist.
Equally, the links to files in <content_folder> lose this folder reference from the TOC XML file when an HHC file is created.
Any help on how to reference content in <content_repository> would be most welcome?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Link to topic outside project structure

Post by KevinDAmery »

I don't think that's supported.

Presumably you have a reason for wanting to link to outside content--if you let us know what that is, we may be able to suggest an alternate approach that achieves the same goal. (Or not--but worth a whirl....)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ianb-d
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ianb-d »

I do indeed -- single source.

Flare is planned to be used as a tool for creating output, not for topic creation -- many people contribute to the information and it is stored in a version control system. Topics are used in multiple projects and I do not want to go through a process of duplication; that goes against the grain.

I planned to have a central repository with most (if not all) of the topics in it, and use the TOC entries to ensure the topics are collected. I also read somewhere that Flare picks up all entries in the Content directory for inclusion in output which means I cannot have everything under a project structure, even if I could have other project files in the same directory.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Well, you could have everything under one project, actually, but you would have to apply conditions to the topics to control which output they were included in. If you have many output requirements (which I gather you do) this could get... ahem... complex to administer :( but it can be done.

Hopefully future versions of Flare will support actual centralized content (for example, I'd love to have one CSS in one place that gets picked up by all my projects).
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare