Fixing Multiple Broken Links

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
ys70t7i
Jr. Propeller Head

Fixing Multiple Broken Links

Post by ys70t7i »

I rename a path and now have hundreds of broken links. System never asked me if I wanted to change all references to my new path. How can I fix? Please help.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Fixing Multiple Broken Links

Post by LTinker68 »

What do you mean you renamed a path? You moved or renamed a file?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

And, where did you change it? In Flare or in Windows Explorer?
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

Do you mean like, when you have a master stylesheet set, then rename it, every topic becomes a broken link? I ended up just renaming it back to the way I had it because it wasn't worth the trouble to fix.
The Moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars.

— Arthur C. Clarke
ys70t7i
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ys70t7i »

I renamed the folder. I have fixed 1/3 of the links.
alaltenburg wrote:Do you mean like, when you have a master stylesheet set, then rename it, every topic becomes a broken link? I ended up just renaming it back to the way I had it because it wasn't worth the trouble to fix.
ys70t7i
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ys70t7i »

LTinker68 wrote:What do you mean you renamed a path? You moved or renamed a file?
I renamed a folder in which the file is housed.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If you rename the folder from within Flare, it will ask if you want to update all links. Select "Yes" at that prompt and it should take care of everything for you. If you renamed the folder outside of Flare or chose not to update the links, then everything will still point to the old folder name so you'll end up with a bunch of broken links. You can fix that by either renaming the folder back, then renaming it again and this time telling it to update the links, or you could do a find-and-replace in Flare, making sure that it's set to look in the source code, and replace the old folder name with the new folder name.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ys70t7i
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ys70t7i »

LTinker68 wrote:If you rename the folder from within Flare, it will ask if you want to update all links. Select "Yes" at that prompt and it should take care of everything for you. If you renamed the folder outside of Flare or chose not to update the links, then everything will still point to the old folder name so you'll end up with a bunch of broken links. You can fix that by either renaming the folder back, then renaming it again and this time telling it to update the links, or you could do a find-and-replace in Flare, making sure that it's set to look in the source code, and replace the old folder name with the new folder name.
It worked. Thanks.
tekwrite55
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrite55 »

LTinker68 wrote:If you rename the folder from within Flare, it will ask if you want to update all links. Select "Yes" at that prompt and it should take care of everything for you. If you renamed the folder outside of Flare or chose not to update the links, then everything will still point to the old folder name so you'll end up with a bunch of broken links. You can fix that by either renaming the folder back, then renaming it again and this time telling it to update the links, or you could do a find-and-replace in Flare, making sure that it's set to look in the source code, and replace the old folder name with the new folder name.
Thanks I tried the source code search and replace and it worked. Years after the original post!