Following an entire system

MadCap Pulse is the only documentation-centric social collaboration platform that enables technical authors to create a complete social layer around their documentation in order to connect, collaborate and share knowledge with authors, employees and customers.
chunkee
Sr. Propeller Head

Following an entire system

Post by chunkee »

Is there a way to follow a system? Part of our jobs at the TechComm team are to help answer questions. I do not think I should have to follow each individual topic to get a notification when someone asks a question on Pulse? If there is no way to do that, then this is a huge gaping whole. SME's are also part of a group and should be able to subscribe to a system also.

The documentation on this product is abysmal. Coming from a documentation company, this is unacceptable.

J.C.
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Following an entire system

Post by Ineffable »

chunkee wrote:Is there a way to follow a system? Part of our jobs at the TechComm team are to help answer questions. I do not think I should have to follow each individual topic to get a notification when someone asks a question on Pulse? If there is no way to do that, then this is a huge gaping whole. SME's are also part of a group and should be able to subscribe to a system also.

The documentation on this product is abysmal. Coming from a documentation company, this is unacceptable.

J.C.
I'm with you, chunkee. I deployed a test install of Pulse, and also found the documentation lacking. The software has a lot of rough edges, and doesn't provide enough flexibility on the backend to plug into most major corporate installs of "Big PLM/ERP/ERM System."

For example, I needed to be able to use an existing user/password database, since I didn't want my users to have to re-authenticate with Pulse ("A social app, like Facebook?" is what I was asked); I wanted to repurpose their existing credentials. That being said, Pulse's way of dealing with this scenario is not robust. Telling my customers, "Well, just create new account (after you've logged in with your existing account)," was not going to cut it. If you didn't figure it out, my system is hidden behind a login, so the user would need to login twice to gain all functionality.

Here's to 2.0...
EmilyM
Propeller Head

Re: Following an entire system

Post by EmilyM »

Hi Chunkee,
Have you logged an enhancement request with MadCap?

I logged the following last year:

It would be good to be notified (as an administrator) when a comment or question etc is made on a topic. I am testing Pulse with the developers and SMEs so they can review the work I have done for a project. I have no idea of knowing if any of them have commented on a topic and do not want to have to click through every topic to find out.

Feedback server had this functionality and it would be fantastic if it was replicated in Pulse.

I have logged quite a few enhancement requests and bug fixes, so hopefully some of these will be addressed in the next version (rumoured to be in Q2 - probably in time for MadWorld)

Emily