Unable to use CSH to HTML5 output with snippets in topic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Adsy
Propeller Head

Unable to use CSH to HTML5 output with snippets in topic

Post by Adsy »

Hi,

I am hoping this is something easy that I have just missed and can easily fix by being pointed in the right direction. I have a large field-based reference guide where each field needs to be able to be used with F1 help using ID's. My topic contains a snippet for a particular field, but I can't assign the CSH ID to it, as it seems impossible to open a snippet within the Alias editor. I can't find the snippet in any of the available bookmarks, and I don't know how to assign it without opening it the Alias file.

Multiple ID's can be used to point to the same bookmark, but if I can't even open the snippet file, or locate it within the topic the snippet has been placed, how do I assign the ID?

Thanks in advance,

Adsy
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Unable to use CSH to HTML5 output with snippets in topic

Post by devjoe »

Snippets are not callable. They don't even exist in your output. You link the CSH ID to the topic containing the snippet, possibly at a bookmark at that location in the topic.
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

That's my issue, because I am wanting to call it at the bookmark but I can't if the snippet is the entire content of the bookmark I want to call. I'll find another way I guess.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I don't know if this works in your workflow, but could you include the snippet in a topic and then in the Alias Editor link to that topic rather than (failing to) link to the snippet?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

As mentioned, you can't link to a snippet from the alias editor.

In the alias editor you can link to a topic, and then the bookmark inside that topic.

However, in your scenario you'll find that doesn't work, as Flare's alias editor won't show bookmarks that are inside snippets in that topic.
Appreciate that's not going to help much, but I'd suggest reporting it as a bug.

The same applies if you try and insert a cross-reference to a bookmark inside a topic, and the bookmark is inside a snippet.
Adsy
Propeller Head

Post by Adsy »

Thanks all. I ended up reducing the snippet to contain only the reference text, and the h5 is the only thing that I need to manually repeat. That way I can bookmark on the heading and it will stay with the snippet text. It's a workaround but it works. I'm not sure if it's a bug or by design which it seems to be. I will submit one anyway.