Markers for newly published Topics in Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets

Markers for newly published Topics in Output

Postby lerry_ak on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:43 am

Hi all,

it's not really a problem but I have not figured out a solution either. Since our dokumantation page for our product is so packed with topics and articles, I wanted to mark some updated or new topics for the customers but could not find any tool that would satisfy my needs. I thought about marker or a text effect that would caught the attention of the customer to a specific topic that says "hey, lookie here I have something new".

Any suggestions or workarounds for that? Thanks in advance
lerry_ak
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Markers for newly published Topics in Output

Postby ChoccieMuffin on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am

You could try this:

Create a generic style called "New" with whatever formatting you want - red bold text on a yellow background, say. (Only need to do this once)
Create a snippet called "New_Stuff", and add whatever you want to appear in the body of the topic, for example "HEY THIS IS NEW STUFF!!!" (Only need to do this once)
OR
Create a snippet called "New", and add whatever text you want to prepend to the first heading of your topic, for example "NEW! - " (Only need to do this once)

For the first time you use this:
1. Create a condition called "New_release_1" or similar.
2. In your topics, add the "New_Stuff" snippet
OR
In the heading of your topic, add the "New" snippet.
3. Condition whatever you've added with the "New_release_1" condition.
4. Generate your target, don't exclude the condition.

Next time round:
1. Add a condition "New_release_2"
2. Add whichever snippet you are using and condition it with "New_Release_2".
3. In your target, EXCLUDE "New_release_1".

When you want to do some tidying up and you know you're never going to need to use the first condition you can search for everything condtioned with "New_release_1" and delete it:

1. In the Find box enter: "<MadCap:snippetBlock src="New_stuff.flsnp" MadCap:conditions="New_release_1" />"
OR
In the Find box enter: "<MadCap:snippetText src="New.flsnp" MadCap:conditions="New_release_1" />"
2. Clear the Replace with box.
3. Select the Find in source code check box.
4. In the File types box, select Topics.

* You might need to do the replacing stuff a second time and select Snippets if you've used your NEW snippet inside a snippet.

I thank you! :mrgreen:
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2019r1.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Return to Web-based Outputs