Hotspots Move Depending on OS and Browser.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
marcfishel
Jr. Propeller Head

Hotspots Move Depending on OS and Browser.

Post by marcfishel »

I imported a PNG-formatted flow chart into my help project, and then used Flare's Hotspot tools to generate hotspots around each rectangle and triangle in the flow chart. My intent was to allow users to click a rectangle or diamond in the flowchart, and then be moved to the corresponding topic in the online help.

Oddly, I had to define the hotpots in Flare several picas away from where the rectangles and diamonds appear in the flow chart. Otherwise, the clickable hotspots appeared outside the rectangles and diamonds in the Windows 7/10 environments shown below. So even though the hotspots were not aligned with the rectangles and diamonds in the flow chart, they appeared perfectly aligned with those objects when viewing the help in the Windows environments.

When I clicked the same hotspots in the Apple environment below, the hotspots were not aligned with the rectangles and diamonds. Instead, they were offset at the location where I defined them in Flare.

I am not sure why this experience is different among various OSes and browsers.

WINDOWS ENVIRONMENTS
Windows 7 & Windows 10 64-bit system using the following browsers:
Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0 and Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18362
Google Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Mozilla Firefox v73

APPLE ENVIRONMENT
MacBook Pro using the following browsers:
Google Chrome Version 80.0.3987.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Safari v13.0.5 (14608.5.12)
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Hotspots Move Depending on OS and Browser.

Post by SteveS »

Welcome to the forums! :D

I deleted your duplicate post. You need to make a couple of posts before you are 'deemed' a good citizen and get to post unmoderated - we had a huge spam issue a couple of years ago and it's a measure to protect forum users.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
gsm1
Propeller Head

Post by gsm1 »

This is a current issue for my project as well.

The following release note will shortly go out to clients:

Known Issue
Resizing the default display format of the Users Guide may shift the location of embedded hotspots in screen shot and flowchart image maps. This may also occur when one pop-up is used to open another pop-up. The issue results from a flaw in a third-party software. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Although hotspot "slippage" is slight in some cases, the smaller the size of the hotspot, the greater the impact of the slippage. Since we use screen shots in which every field and function is given a hotspot, in order to make access to the associated documentation faster, this is quite irksome.

Because of the complexity of our system structure, I created flowcharts with hotspot (pop-up) links to each associated screen and function to enable prompt access to associated descriptions. The value of this is effort is significantly degraded by hotspot slippage.

MC tech support has acknowledged that this is a bug.

I would welcome a workable solution.
jbananak
Propeller Head

Post by jbananak »

Hi
Did you get a reply/fix from Madcap?
I need to add multi-sheet Visio flowcharts as separate topics in Flare and I am looking for the easiest and quickest way to do this.
Joanna
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

It's been an issue for some time. Where an image is resized from the original or uses some percent-of-view-portal type setting, the hot spots do not. They are fixed in location. So any resize of the image (or the view window if it resizes the image) will result in the hotspots drifting from their intended locations. There's no fix really except to not allow an image with hotspots to resize.

It might be possible to break the flowchart down into separate image pieces, each wrapped in a link and with zero margin/padding/border. That way the link will stay around the image piece. That's how I got around it before. Useless if you want to do fancy shapes for your selectors though, and a pain to maintain if the flowchart changes.

Rob