Menu proxy behavior

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
aneedell
Propeller Head

Menu proxy behavior

Post by aneedell »

I am attempting to add menu proxies to certain topics in my project and, while the menu proxies work okay, but I am puzzled by one behavior in the generated output (side-navigation): when I select an item from the topic menu, the cursor moves to that item (the items are all h6 headings) in the topic and shows it surrounded by borders. When I click the mouse the borders go away, but I don't want the borders to appear at all. I cannot find any description of this behavior and how to control it. Neither the menu proxy nor the menu skin seem to have a control for it. Does anyone know how to control it?
Thank you,
albert
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Menu proxy behavior

Post by Psider »

It's probably the browser doing it for accessibility reasons (e.g. people with low vision).

See here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/:focus

If you're not that familiar wih CSS, I think I remember a post about it fairly recently so you could do a search to see if there are specific Flare steps you can follow (I don't have a copy of Flare right now to help.)
aneedell
Propeller Head

Post by aneedell »

Thank you replying. I checked our css files and we are not setting the focus. Is it possible that the menu skin sets the focus automatically? That would seem odd, but odder things have happened. I'll try some additional searches in the forums ... maybe I've not hit on the correct words to use in my searches. I'm hoping that someone else has seen this and knows the answer. Thank you.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

It's your browser doing it, not Flare. You need to specifically change it to suit your branding, or turn it off. Do note that Mozilla does not recommend turning it off completely, although you can choose to if you wish.
aneedell
Propeller Head

Post by aneedell »

Are you referring to the browser's Accessibility settings? My Chrome "show a quick highlight on the focused object" setting is off. Anyway, in my output, no other hyperlinks behave this way: only the links coming from the Topic Menu items. I may need to ping MadCap support on this one.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

The accessibility setting is off for me as well. The focus thing is always on in Chrome now.
aneedell
Propeller Head

Post by aneedell »

Hello. Just as a follow-up, a Flare support rep confirmed that the 'outline' is an effect that Chrome has added, as an accessibility feature. We'll live with it (and claim that it is a usability enhancement)...
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

aneedell wrote:Hello. Just as a follow-up, a Flare support rep confirmed that the 'outline' is an effect that Chrome has added, as an accessibility feature. We'll live with it (and claim that it is a usability enhancement)...
The rep isn't really telling the full story there.

The outline has actually been a default style in Chrome for years now - it's not new. (Edge and other browsers also have a default outline style too.)

But in older versions of Flare, MadCap included hard-coded CSS in their output that would switch off the outline, so you never saw it.

Then at some point, MadCap realised that switching off the outline is a big no-no for accessibility and breaks WCAG guidelines. So they removed their CSS to hide the outline, and it now appears - as it should.

You can tweak the outline style, or use background formatting instead, but the key point is that someone using a keyboard needs to be able to see what item currently has focus.