Snippets in headings not resolving in search results

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Louise Bennett
Propeller Head

Snippets in headings not resolving in search results

Post by Louise Bennett »

I use snippets for product names in headings to enable single sourcing of our topics across several products. Within the snippet I use conditions to identify when each product name should be used in line with the product condition set in the target.

What I am finding, however, is that the snippet doesn't resolve in search results where the topics are listed. Instead, the search result (ie, the name of the topic) just has a space where the resolved snippet (product name) should be. When I open the topic from the search result link the product name is resolved as expected in the heading, so the issue is just in the search result itself.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Is it something to do with search result styles maybe (I'm clutching at straws here :))

Thanks, Louise.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Snippets in headings not resolving in search results

Post by NorthEast »

I'd suggest reporting it as a bug to MadCap, as they might be able to verify if there's a known issue.

Probably not much help, but I don't see this issue in 2021R1. That's using a snippet inserted as snippet text in a h1 heading, the snippet contains text marked with conditions, conditions are set at the target level, and using the MadCap Search engine.

I've used snippets in headings in my projects for years - and whilst I've not noticed an issue like this, it's probably not something I'd specifically test either.
Louise Bennett
Propeller Head

Re: Snippets in headings not resolving in search results

Post by Louise Bennett »

Thanks Dave. Will report it and see what they say. I'm using 2020R3 but I have just upgraded so will be interested to see if it is fixed in 2021R1.