CSH for HTML5 output: CSH calls and window design

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
fabina
Propeller Head

CSH for HTML5 output: CSH calls and window design

Post by fabina »

We are planning to transform our HTML Help (chm) into a HTML5 help. A lot of our topics are context-sensitive to the dialogs of our software by using alias and headers. In Flare help you are presenting two methods of connecting HTML5 help to software. According to our developers these mean the following:
  • The Javascript method would only do in web-based applications.
  • The URL method would only do if the help topics were hosted by a web server.
Our software is not web based. Also, in the beginning we would offer our help only locally, So we do have the following questions:
  • Our developers named requirements for your methods, see above. But are they really necessary?
  • If not, which information would our developers need?
  • If yes, how would we proceed with CSH in a help being local?
The size and position of a window can be controlled in the skin, Flare help says. We will use side navigation. I did not find the means to alter neither the window's position nor its size. Therefore we would like to know:
  • Is it possible to set the window's position and size using side navigation? If so, how do I go about?
  • How did you go about yourself for the context-sensitivity of Flare help? You open CSH (HTM file including skin) in a special window with preset position and size. Has the window been built by your developers? If so, what would (our) developers have to do?
  • There is a button called "Open Topic in Browser" in your tool bar. How do I obtain this button?
Thank you, I am looking forward to reading your answer soon!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: CSH for HTML5 output: CSH calls and window design

Post by NorthEast »

The forums are for Flare users, so don't expect a reply from MadCap themselves about their help (although they do look at the forums sometimes).

You can use the URL method for CSH, and it will work for HTML5 help installed on a local file system (not just a web server).

You could install the help in different ways:
* Install help in the local file system, and access it using the file:// protocol in the URL.
* Install help in a local Windows IIS server (inetpub folder), and access it using the https:// protocol in the URL. You'd use this if you didn't want to use the file:// protocol.

Other questions:
* The size/position settings are for the Tripane skin only, and aren't available for Side Navigation.
* Your developers can make a 'special window' to display help inside your app by using a web browser control (container).
fabina
Propeller Head

Post by fabina »

Thank you for your reply, Dave Lee. That helps in the exchange with our developers. :D

I know that MadCap Support does not necessarily react to the forum posts, but I just tried it. :oops:
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

fabina wrote:Thank you for your reply, Dave Lee. That helps in the exchange with our developers. :D

I know that MadCap Support does not necessarily react to the forum posts, but I just tried it. :oops:
If you have suggestions for improvements to the help, then do please send a message directly to Madcap, using the "Feature request" link (in my signature). That way you're communicating directly with them.

More generally, there is a document provided by Madcap that might be of interest to you and your developers that talks specifically about context-sensitive help and how to do it. Take a look at this page, where you'll find all sorts of interesting bits: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Flare.htm
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx