Published project-lost top Nav/layout a mess [FIXED]

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Published project-lost top Nav/layout a mess [FIXED]

Post by M33R4 »

Published my project to the portal. When viewed, I've lost the top nav and my menu proxy has lost its formatting.

The files in my project have been split up as follows -
level 1:
portalfolder_1.PNG
To view the project, I have to double-click the Index file but this is located in a level 2 folder/Contents folder:
portalfolder_2.PNG

I've been informed by my colleague, for a User to be able to launch the project, the Index file needs to be in the level 1 folder (as above).

I, therefore, moved the Index file from level 2 to the level 1 folder but now when I launch the project by clicking this index file, my top nav is missing, my menu proxy has moved to the left of my screen.

Help please
:cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by M33R4 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Published project - layout a mess when viewed

Post by Chicago_HPT »

What happens if you double-click the Default file in the root folder? That should open your project.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Published project - layout a mess when viewed

Post by M33R4 »

Chicago_HPT wrote:What happens if you double-click the Default file in the root folder? That should open your project.
Yes, that does open the project but my colleague informs me that when the user clicks on a topic the portal will be looking for an Index page instead?
Newbie to MadCap Flare
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Published project - lost top Nav/layout a mess when view

Post by doloremipsum »

I think there's a misunderstanding here. The Index.htm file is just a normal topic file in your project (presumably your index). If you move it to the top level after publishing, it will break all of the links to the skin, TOC, etc, so when you open that page it can't load all of the assets.

The default.htm file is a special htm file - when you open it, it will open the Help at the designated startup topic. If you want to open a specific topic when the user opens the Help, you can set the Startup Topic in the Target, General tab. There should be no need to try open that topic specifically from the portal.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

When your colleague said they needed an Index file, I'm guessing they meant that your website doesn't open a default page.
Ask them exactly how they were trying to open the help.

For example:
(1) I can open Flare's help by including the output help page (Default.htm) in the URL: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare2021/Default.htm
(2) Alternatively, I can open Flare's help by specifying just the folder in the URL without a page: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare2021/

For (2) to work, your website has to be configured so that it knows what default page(s) to show if you don't include the page in the URL. By default, most web servers are set up to look for a page called Index.htm/Index.html, but not Default.htm.

To fix it, do either of these:
* Set up your web server so that "Default.htm" is included in the default pages it will look for.
* Change your output help page name in Flare, so that it's Index.htm rather than Default.htm. In the target General tab, enter the Output File name as Index.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

doloremipsum and Dave Lee - many thanks. Great points there which I will work through and update this thread.
Newbie to MadCap Flare