Getting rid of the submenu in top navigation output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
leep
Propeller Head

Getting rid of the submenu in top navigation output

Post by leep »

I've encountered an issue after upgrading from Flare 2017 to 2021. My top navigation help output in 2021 has an extraneous submenu that didn't appear in output from 2017. I don't know why the submenu is appearing or how to turn it off. If anybody knows where this is coming from (probably the skin) and how to turn it off, I'd be appreciative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Getting rid of the submenu in top navigation output

Post by Nita Beck »

That's coming from a menu proxy that is present in the template page (or, prior to Flare 2021 r2) master page. It's not a submenu to the top nav menus. If it were a submenu, yes, you'd turn it off in the top nav skin's Setup tab, where you can set how many levels to show in the top nav menu.

If you don't want to have that menu, then delete the menu proxy from the template page.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
leep
Propeller Head

Post by leep »

That's great info if indeed that's the problem. Where do I find this template page? I'm new to 2021 and not up on all the changes (some of which have unintended consequences for the user, apparently).
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Given that your project has existed for awhile, the file in question is probably still labeled as a master page. Look in the Content Explorer. The typical place is in Resources\MasterPages. Your CE might be organized differently, but there's probably a MasterPages folder somewhere. You can also open the target file and see what master page it uses and navigate from there.

Devil's advocate question: Are you SURE you want to get rid of this menu? Or is it that the menu moved from being beside your content to above your content? Perhaps you don't want to remove it at all but you merely want to posiition it beside (either left or right) again? There have been a lot of changes from 2017 to 2021 r2, and I have a vague recollection that something might have changed along the way that ended up repositioning that menu. You might need to work your way through the release notes since 2017. Assuming that you last used 2017 r3, you'd start with the 2018 release note, here: https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/F ... _Notes.htm

Yeah, especially check out the release notes for 2019 r2, and this KB article in particular: https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/M ... hanges.htm. You might need to enlist the help of Tech Support, per that article.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
leep
Propeller Head

Post by leep »

To answer your question, yes, I do want to remove that submenu. It's extraneous, and I'm going to opine that it is the reason the output top nav help file (when zipped) has leaped from 11,000 KB to 60,000 KB! Which is unmanageable by my development team, of course.
Thanks for the links you've given me. I'll peruse them later. In the meantime, I have elicited the help of MadCap Support, since I think it's incumbent on them to take care of something that I didn't set up and that appeared simply because I upgraded Flare.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

leep wrote:I'm going to opine that it is the reason the output top nav help file (when zipped) has leaped from 11,000 KB to 60,000 KB!
I would doubt that is the reason. In fact, the size of Top Nav outputs will have dramatically reduced compared Flare 2017.
In older versions of Flare (including 2017), the top nav menu was actually built-in to the topic file at build time, which could result in large topic file sizes. In more recent versions of Flare, the menu is not included in the topic but generated at run time, which reduces the topic size.

I'd suggest comparing your output folders from 2017 and 2021. You can do this manually, or use a file comparison tool like WinMerge.
Any size difference in the Data, Resources and Skins folders means it's caused by Flare, which you can't do very much about.
But if there's a large size difference in the Content folder, then that's caused by your own content - probably something is being included in the output by accident.
Even so, 60MB is not very large.