Root Element Missing issue

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
chrisj
Propeller Head

Root Element Missing issue

Post by chrisj »

I'm experiencing an issue where a build for a specific target is failing as soon as it gets to the "Processing Source Files" task. It flags it with the cryptic "Root Element Missing" error. The strange part is that other people on my team can build the target just fine. What I've deduced thus far is that the issue is with a specific topic. For example, if I go into that topic and delete all of the content and insert some dummy text, the target will build. I've tried to deduce what area of the topic is causing problems by going through and deleting sections and trying to build. There doesn't seem to be any specific thing that I can see.

For clarity, I have two other writers who can build the target jut fine. We are all using the latest Flare version and are using Git for source control.
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
chrisj
Propeller Head

Re: Root Element Missing issue

Post by chrisj »

Update: The build seems to run fine if I clear the Exclude content not linked directly or indirectly from the target check box. This is not ideal because it increases the build time significantly, and still doesn't fully answer why it fails with that check box selected.
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Sometimes Flare gets its knickers in a twist, so I suggest you close your Flare project and delete the Output and Analyzer folders, then re-open your project and try to build again.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
allkindsosass
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by allkindsosass »

Thanks for the removing of the Exclude... selection. Saved my bacon!
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paulie »

Hi there,

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I'd recommend running a report for database errors and non-XML topics. It sounds like one of the XML files has lost its root element.

See the following URL for information about the structure of an XML file (including the root element):
https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_tree.asp
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."
arkana
Propeller Head

Post by arkana »

For me, I changed the Startup topic to another one and problem solved. Very scary indeed, and very difficult to troubleshoot!
Arthur Cui
Flare 2019
Marc
Propeller Head

Post by Marc »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Sometimes Flare gets its knickers in a twist, so I suggest you close your Flare project and delete the Output and Analyzer folders, then re-open your project and try to build again.
And this is what fixed it for me. Sometimes the old solutions are the best ones!
kathryngz
Propeller Head

Post by kathryngz »

Marc wrote:
ChoccieMuffin wrote:Sometimes Flare gets its knickers in a twist, so I suggest you close your Flare project and delete the Output and Analyzer folders, then re-open your project and try to build again.
And this is what fixed it for me. Sometimes the old solutions are the best ones!
Worked for me too! Thank you, ChoccieMuffin!
jonathanlolley
Propeller Head

Post by jonathanlolley »

Just had this happen to me. Contacted MadCap and they deleted the Output and Analyzer folders. That resolved the issue.
DarcieC
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by DarcieC »

I am curious, @jonathanlolley: do you work in an environment with multiple Flare users, or just yourself? I am my company's primary Flare author, and I am having no difficulty building a specific target, but we have a person working remotely, and they are having this issue, even after deleting their Analyzer and Output folders on their PC (laptop). (I had this issue once when it was just me, and deleting those folders worked then, however.)