Scripts for overnight build and publishing

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
tlerma
Jr. Propeller Head

Scripts for overnight build and publishing

Post by tlerma »

I have an automated script on a server that builds and publishes several targets overnight (using a Flare batch file). The problem that I'm having is that sometimes the Flare build fails, but there is no notification to me of the failure. And, to make things worse, the old output is then automatically published. This sometimes overwrites newer content that writers may have manually published themselves.

Has anyone come up with an elegant way to automate the build and publish to detect build failures and skip the publish step?

Thanks!
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Scripts for overnight build and publishing

Post by trent the thief »

I don't think there is any way to split the build/publish cycle into a build and a publish. I wish there were. My only suggestion is publishing to a staging area and testing errorlevels for madbuild exit codes. If it's not EQU 0, then you abort the copy process that puts your output in the publish location.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
tlerma
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by tlerma »

Thanks, Trent! Do you have any suggestions on where to go to learn more about how to test for error codes or the scripting language that would be used? Not sure if I should be diving into the book on Flare programming to get more technical expertise.
gilyu
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by gilyu »

I'm running into a similar problem. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't not. When it fails, I have to basically check in what I have (SVN) and then recheck it out. It feels like something goes wonky with the permissions when running the Build Event. Could somebody help with this?