User feedback on help that is NOT indexed by Google - Pulse?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

User feedback on help that is NOT indexed by Google - Pulse?

Post by Cecily »

I'm investigating enabling user comments on our HTML5 help.

Looking at MadCap's help, MacCap's website, and posts in the forums, I'm not sure where to start.

Evidently, there was something called MadCap Feedback, but that's been deprecated.
There's Pulse, but that came out in 2013 and the most recent release seems to have been in Aug 2015, it's not listed to purchase, so maybe that's deprecated too.

So how does one enable feedback?

Note: our pages are hidden from Google searches.
Does that mean we couldn't use Google Analytics even for "Was this page helpful? Yes | No"?
Does it have other implications?

Any advice on how and where to start is very welcome.
Last edited by Cecily on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: User feedback on help that is NOT indexed by Google - Pu

Post by NorthEast »

You can still use Google Analytics, even if your site isn't searchable by Google.

I use Google Analytics to record feedback on my help, for basic "was this page helpful" responses.
The feedback is recorded by sending an 'event' to Google Analytics, which is good for capturing simple feedback.
I don't handle anything more complicated, like entering text comments.

I posted a solution here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20563#p126079
With a follow up post where I updated a script: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20563&start=25#p131185

This will also work if you're using the brand new Google Analytics 4 (GA4), as you can send events to GA4 too.

I'm not sure what MadCap offers for feedback these days, so it's probably best to ask MadCap directly.
I know they've previously offered Pulse and MadCap Feedback, but I'm fairly sure they've been retired now (but are probably still supported).
MadCap Central has its own analytics, but I'm not sure if it also handles feedback.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

Thanks, Dave. That looks very helpful and will be a great first step before trying to enable text comments.
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

No problem.
I never bothered with handling comments as that'd probably need a more complex solution that's separate to Google Analytics, so I just have an email link.