Fonts in HTML5 output not correct on other machines

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Fonts in HTML5 output not correct on other machines

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I have created some HTML5 outputs for our engineers to include in the installation (unfortunately for this first version we're not hosting the help) and I notice on some screenshots from them that the fonts I've used in the output aren't being used. Or it's possible that because we're not hosting, that they can't be used unless they're installed on the customer's machine.

Can any of you point me towards a fix for this? I'm pretty new to HTML5 as an output, so I may have done something very silly, so even what you might think are obvious things to check are welcome suggestions.

Thanks.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Fonts in HTML5 output not correct on other machines

Post by Nita Beck »

To clarify, the HTML5 help is being installed locally, rather than hosted in the web? Then, yes, the font you use in the help must be present on the end-users machines. When I worked on a project like this, we Help authors chose to use the same font that was used in the locally-installed software application that the Help went with. That way, we knew for certain that the font would be present. If you are using some other font, perhaps the installer needs to install that font, too, so talk to you devs to see if that's technically possible. (Don't know why it wouldn't be.)

Another possibility is to include the font in the Flare project so that it becomes part of the output. I think that is what some folks do for fonts like Font Awesome, where they don't want to have to go fetch the font from the web but instead have the font be "local". Or if they need to use a corporate font... Maybe someone else here has used this solution and so can advise. It actually might be documented in the Flare help.

HT(kinda)H
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

You'd need to explain how you're using the fonts.

For example:
(a) You've set up @font-face CSS in your project, pointing to some local or online font files.
This is the best way to distribute a font with your project, as the font files can be included in your output, and it doesn't require users installing a font.

(b) You've used code for an online font, e.g. a Google font.
This will work provided your users have internet access.

(c) The font is directly installed in Windows on your PC.
This will not work unless your users manually install the same font on their PC. Don't do this!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Thanks Dave.

My mistake was even more silly - I had added @font-face, but when I generated the output I used the wrong stylesheet! So I'm going to stand in the corner with a pointy hat with a D on it for a while, and then regenerate my help with the correct stylesheet and see what happens. D'oh!!! :D
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Thanks, Dave, for refining my knowledge today!
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!