Blank screen displayed when Webhelp opens

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Blank screen displayed when Webhelp opens

Post by TeSol »

Hi all,

I am currently using Flare v2019 r2.

Suddenly, my Webhelp output (which used to work perfectly on all browsers) is opening with a blank screen.
Issue is in Chrome and Edge browsers.
Chrome version is 102.0.5005.63 (64-bit)
Edge version is also 102.0.5005.63 (64-bit)

Screenshots for errors in developer console of Chrome are attached.
Help1.PNG
Help2.PNG
After the webhelp opens I need to click on TOC or Search in the Navigation pane for the topic to open.
Can anyone tell me how I can rectify this issue please?

Regards,
TeSol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Blank screen displayed when Webhelp opens

Post by Psider »

Assuming this all worked with the same version of Flare last time you generated and published, perhaps try disabling all extensions to see if things work after that? And while it might mean nothing, one of the errors relates to an extension and I once had an experience where IT deployed an extension that broke my help.
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

Thanks Psider. Tried your suggestion but it unfortunately did not work.
It could be due to Chrome version going into 3 digits...but not entirely sure and even if I am right, not sure how to rectify it. :?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I don't have any answers, but are you aware that MadCap have said since 2019 that WebHelp will be deprecated?
They recommend using HTML5 instead, and it's a good idea to move because WebHelp might just stop working one day.

Edge now uses the same engine as Chrome, which is why you'll get the same issue in both.
The reason could be that MadCap's script no longer works in this browser - you can certainly see script errors in the console.
I'd suggest asking MadCap support. WebHelp is marked as deprecated, but they may still handle support enquiries for it.
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

Thanks for the heads-up regarding Webhelp output. I was not aware. As I am currently using Flare 2019 r2, there is no issue at present; but will definitely have to change to HTML5 output soon.

Meanwhile, my issues with the blank screen continue. It is also there in a sample HTML5 output that I tested out. The zip file for this sample output is available with me and I can share it with anyone who can help.

I came across some websites that said Chrome://flags - Put major version in minor version position in User-Agent should be Enabled - in the browsers. I did that but still no luck. The blank screen continues to show. Is there anything in the Madcap js files that I can add post build that will resolve this?

Any leads and suggestions are appreciated.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I haven't used WebHelp in many years, so I'll not be much help.

But I would contact MadCap support, as they might be able to tell you if there are known issues with WebHelp in the latest browser versions, and any workarounds.
MadCap still list WebHelp in "upcoming deprecated features" for 2022, which means it hasn't been removed yet, and so hopefully they'll still offer some support for it.
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... atures.htm