Top Navigation - Specific Menu Drop Downs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
StormCloud79
Propeller Head

Top Navigation - Specific Menu Drop Downs

Post by StormCloud79 »

In my current project I've always disabled the top navigation due to the sheer number of topics that could end up being included.

I have a master TOC with many other TOCs linked.

Is it possible to have entries contained within the master TOC that ONLY show up in the top navigation, whilst the rest of the items are not shown? I thought I had achieved it with some conditions to only then realise I lost my breadcumbs in my topics.

Hope someone can help!
Thanks
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Top Navigation - Specific Menu Drop Downs

Post by Psider »

There's a setting to limit the depth of the toc for Top Nav. I'm not sure if it would work for your setup, but you could see if you can set it to 1 and see what happens.
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... Output.htm
StormCloud79
Propeller Head

Post by StormCloud79 »

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately that does not really help. I just wanted one or two things at the top not the whole of the master TOC, I can't believe that this isn't a function in Flare, projects must be huge with lots of topic content and you only want a few things to show.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I think that's the only real option using Top Navigation.

For large projects, the Top Nav menu isn't great for displaying a large number of topics.

So based on MadCap's old help when it used Top Nav (see Flare 12), the general idea is that you use the Top Nav menu in conjunction with a menu proxy that's displayed in the topics themselves. So you would use the Top Nav menu to initially navigate into the main sections of your help, then use the menu proxy in the topics to navigate deeper.

Anyway, as mentioned by Psider, you'd use the Top Menu Levels to Show (Depth) to restrict the number of levels to display in the Top Nav menu. You may also have to reorganise your TOC to have a sensible number of items at the top level, as they're displayed horizontally. Then you can still see and navigate around the full TOC using the menu proxy and breadcrumbs.