HTML5 Side Nav output - no Side Nav

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

HTML5 Side Nav output - no Side Nav

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Hi,
I'm creating HTML5 output from Flare 2022, using a knowledge base template with Side Nav.
Looks great locally and on the webserver.
However, when I upload it to a Linux machine and launch it in the Firefox browser on there, there is no Side Nav shown, no matter how large the browser window (maximised).
Most of our customers use Linux & it will be an issue... :(
Anyone have any idea why this might be or experienced anything similar?
Thanks for any pointers.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: HTML5 Side Nav output - no Side Nav

Post by doloremipsum »

I don't know anything about Linux really, but have you pulled open the Developer Tools to see what's going on in the webpage? See if there are any red errors popping up, or find the sidenav elements and see whether there's anything that might be making them not appear.

Also, you said you uploaded it to a Linux machine - do you get the same problem if you use the Linux browser to view the version you uploaded to the web server?
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
RStreets
Propeller Head

Post by RStreets »

I have a sidenav-based site (not knowledgebase tho') I need to test with 2022 Flare. I'll have a look this evening on my home Linux box. I can check both a Central-hosted version and a local copy.

Note: I was going to do this at some point soon anyway :-)
Rae Streets (Flare user since 2017, now on Flare 2023; Central user from 2020)
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Thank you both - doloremipsum and RStreets for your replies.

@doloremipsum - Can't see anything obvious that could be causing it in the developer tools and can't replicate it on the webserver.

@RStreets - Would be very interested to see if you experience any problems. Thank you for testing on Linux.

Continuing to scratch head and try anything...
Feebeegeebee
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

This is almost always caused by mismatched capitalization. Somewhere you've referenced something by typing in a name manually and you typed it with different capitalization than is used in the file name. This works in Windows because the file system is not case sensitive, but it won't work anywhere else, such as on Linux.
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

devjoe wrote:This is almost always caused by mismatched capitalization. Somewhere you've referenced something by typing in a name manually and you typed it with different capitalization than is used in the file name. This works in Windows because the file system is not case sensitive, but it won't work anywhere else, such as on Linux.
Thanks devjoe. Good thinking. This has been a gotcha before.
Have blown away the server directory several times and uploaded a new version of the help, either all lower case or mixed, and nothing seems to make any difference. Still no side panel.
Will keep looking for a specific example of a filename, but the help is huge, so can't think specifically where it could be happening.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Feebeegeebee
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

If it's the skin that's missing, but the topic content looks all right, then I'd start by looking at the path to the skin folder. (I feel like I've seen other posts saying that it remained capitalised, even though the links were changed to lowercase, but I could be misremembering.)

The other option, assuming a web server, is to ask the server administator to change the server to be case-insensitive (my experience is they don't like to, but it is possible...)
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Psider wrote:If it's the skin that's missing, but the topic content looks all right, then I'd start by looking at the path to the skin folder. (I feel like I've seen other posts saying that it remained capitalised, even though the links were changed to lowercase, but I could be misremembering.)

The other option, assuming a web server, is to ask the server administator to change the server to be case-insensitive (my experience is they don't like to, but it is possible...)
Thank you, Psider!
It was exactly this. I thought I was going mad. I had "Use lowercase filenames" enabled in the target and the skin folder was being output in uppercase, regardless. I think even at one point there were 2 "Skin" & "skin" directories, just to confuse even more. :(
I now have the "Use lowercase filenames" option disabled. (I only had it enabled in the first place for a previous long-standing bug, that has since been resolved.)

Just to confuse matters, once I was absolutely sure I had resolved it, I launched the help in the browser on the server once more...and the side navigation was gone again. Initial panic faded when I realised that this time, expanding the browser window meant it reappeared (responsive output kicking in, just at the moment when I didn't need it!!!) :cry:

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Once again this forum came up trumps!
Regards,
Feebeegeebee