I Want to limit search results to specific Target/TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: I Want to limit search results to specific Target/TOC

Post by Nita Beck »

Have you conditioned each of those product sub-folders with a "this product only" condition? Then you can have all of the targets for other products exclude that condition. I do this all the time. I use both the "Exclude files not linked directly/indirectly" option AND conditions to exclude.

I might be late to the game here, and sorry that I haven't gone back through this whole thread, but if any of your targets have a explicit INCLUDE, it'll include content that you might have multiple conditions applied to, some of which you otherwise have said to exclude.

Explicit INCLUDE beats EXCLUDE beats implicit INCLUDE (i.e., Include check box left unchecked)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

Flare support itself claims that only topics linked to in a TOC would be included. I have a project where I know that to not be a fact, and I told them so.

I have a new target output that uses a new TOC that contains references only to a few newly developed topics for a new product. There are zero links to anywhere else in the project. The HTML5 output, however, contains the entire contents of the Content and Resources folder. And I can search for a term that I (a) know does not exist in the few new topics and (b) does exist in other topics that are part of other product topics, and those topics are found by search.

This setting does not work. Both here and Flare support suggested using conditions to limit the output content. I maintain that this setting should perform as advertised, and that a workaround of cluttering the conditions list with conditions meant solely for this workaround is unsatisfactory.
chrisj
Propeller Head

Post by chrisj »

chuck_agari wrote:Flare support itself claims that only topics linked to in a TOC would be included. I have a project where I know that to not be a fact, and I told them so.

I have a new target output that uses a new TOC that contains references only to a few newly developed topics for a new product. There are zero links to anywhere else in the project. The HTML5 output, however, contains the entire contents of the Content and Resources folder. And I can search for a term that I (a) know does not exist in the few new topics and (b) does exist in other topics that are part of other product topics, and those topics are found by search.

This setting does not work. Both here and Flare support suggested using conditions to limit the output content. I maintain that this setting should perform as advertised, and that a workaround of cluttering the conditions list with conditions meant solely for this workaround is unsatisfactory.
Do you happen to have a menu proxy in your output you are testing? I've ran into situations where I need the menu proxy, but leave the TOC for the proxy to my master (or default). The feature will interpret the TOC linked to the proxy in addition to the TOC linked to the target.
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

chrisj wrote:
chuck_agari wrote:Flare support itself claims that only topics linked to in a TOC would be included. I have a project where I know that to not be a fact, and I told them so.

Do you happen to have a menu proxy in your output you are testing? I've ran into situations where I need the menu proxy, but leave the TOC for the proxy to my master (or default). The feature will interpret the TOC linked to the proxy in addition to the TOC linked to the target.
Nope. Not a feature I use in my outputs.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

MadCap support tracked down what it looks like the issue was.

In my early testing, I wanted to see what the process would be so that users could have context-sensitive help. I auto-generated alias and header files some time back.

When I created my new target, I used an existing target as a template (so I'd have to (re)configure fewer settings). That new target was still pointing to the alias file (Advanced tab, Alias File setting, all the way down at the bottom), and it seems that because that file linked to just about all of the files in the entire project, those files were included in the target's output.

Talk about edge cases........
chrisj
Propeller Head

Post by chrisj »

chuck_agari wrote:MadCap support tracked down what it looks like the issue was.

In my early testing, I wanted to see what the process would be so that users could have context-sensitive help. I auto-generated alias and header files some time back.

When I created my new target, I used an existing target as a template (so I'd have to (re)configure fewer settings). That new target was still pointing to the alias file (Advanced tab, Alias File setting, all the way down at the bottom), and it seems that because that file linked to just about all of the files in the entire project, those files were included in the target's output.

Talk about edge cases........
This is really good to know, and will probably save other people a lot of headache down the road!
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you opened any of the offending topics and looked at the links in the Link Viewer pane, then you'd be able to see they're linked to the alias file.