Relative paths in targets?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
sshearin
Jr. Propeller Head

Relative paths in targets?

Post by sshearin »

I'm trying to get an automated build set up via madbuild. We have multiple build machines. Problem is, you can't specify the target location for the built files from the command line, and the target file only allows absolute paths. Can anyone recommend a way to get around this madness? I'd rather not have a dozen or more duplicate targets that differ only by where the built files are put. Help?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Relative paths in targets?

Post by LTinker68 »

Why do you need a relative path? If you have multiple build machines, and presumably multiple authors, then designate a central file share to build all outputs to and have the authors set up their targets to point to that file share using either a long form path or a mapped path. Then it doesn't matter who runs madbuild from which machine -- the builds will always end up at the same place.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
cinergi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cinergi »

The multiple build servers in question are part of a Continuous Integration pool (Jenkins). There's no central anything other than the source code for the product and the Flare source files. The build needs to grab a copy of the latest Flare source files/project, compile it, dump the output somewhere, and archive the results. However, because there are multiple servers and branches, the paths cannot be the same or shared (each build must be distinct and self-contained). We're on an agile scrum cycle so we have a new branch every 4 weeks. The relative path idea is one way to solve the problem, but I'm open to hear how others have solved the problem who are in a similar situation.
Thanks!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you don't specify an output folder, then wouldn't the output already be in a relative path for each individual instance of the project? i.e. in \project\output\user\target

I understand you can't change that path, but it would keep the outputs separate for each instance, and in a known relative location.
cinergi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cinergi »

When we left the Output option in the project file out, I couldn't find any output anywhere. I can try again to make sure but all I saw in the output subdirectory were temporary files.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

cinergi wrote:When we left the Output option in the project file out, I couldn't find any output anywhere. I can try again to make sure but all I saw in the output subdirectory were temporary files.
If you leave it as (Default), then the output will be in a folder named after the target (in \project\output\user\target\)

If you're in any doubt, build (not view) the target, and you'll get an option to 'Open output folder'.
cinergi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cinergi »

Since this is an automated build, we're using the command-line (madbuild) which may have something to do with it. There wasn't an explicit "output" before and that was working via the GUI (as far as I know), but I didn't get any output via madbuild.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Building from the command line is no different, the output should will be in the in the \project\output\user\target\ folder, assuming your build has worked.

Maybe double-check you're looking in the right user folder, i.e. the user that is logged in when the build script is run.
cinergi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cinergi »

I'd almost bet my life there wasn't a <TARGET NAME> directory in the Output folder when we used the (Default) setting. But it's there now. That's what I needed. I can move the output to the right location by referencing "Output\%USERNAME%\HTML5_cmdline" so it's agnostic of the user the build runs as. It looks like I'm all set. :oops:
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.
lh_writer
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lh_writer »

We're trying to use an automated pipeline with multiple build machines potentially picking up the flare batch job. The software build expects to consume the flare output in specific locations... but I can't figure out how to set a RELATIVE path in my destinations so the pipeline can build, publish, then package up for the parent software build. Help?!