publishing to ftp

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
topsoup
Jr. Propeller Head

publishing to ftp

Post by topsoup »

Hi,

I'm trying to publish to ftp but am getting error connecting to ftp. I've passed the host name and username/password validation, but I get error "The FTP client has not yet connected to the server".

I am able to connect with the same login details using FileZilla, but not Flare's ftp? Folder permissions and directory are all correct. When using Filezilla, I connect using active mode if that makes a difference?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
allkindsosass
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: publishing to ftp

Post by allkindsosass »

Hi there,

I know this is old but I JUST went through this and hope that maybe my fix helps others. I guess that's the point of these lol.
SO
Since it says FTP, the initial focus was that there was something going on with my FTP server. Not the case.
Background
I have 8 targets, 4 are internal, 4 are external. Each chunk of 4 share an FTP address with a modifier on the end i.e. FTP://123.45.56.67/olb31. So I have 4 targets that all share that made up for example purposes address of FTP://123.45.56.67.
Problem
Last week, of the 4 external, only my FTP://123.45.56.67/olb31 started failing with the error mentioned in this thread. None of this made sense. I started comparing the olb31 target and destination to the functional other 3. I changed the Connection Mode in the destination from passive to active. I double checked my publishing credentials.
Nothing worked, so I opened a ticket. Again the focus was on my FTP server. I tested the FTP connective functionality one day, everything passed with flying colors. Tried it the next and it timed out. Blah blah. The support peeps weren't solving my issue and as this is the external version of our most current release of all the docs, this was starting to become a crisis. I asked my Tech Support husband for help.
Solution
Where did he look? The effing logs...
Turns out if I looked in the ExternalOLB31 MCLOG File, I saw this:

Uploading Content/Products/OB/OB30/UsingtheAdminConsole/Configuration/Content/Errors/Errors-ProviderErrors.htm... succeeded.
Uploading Content/Products/OB/OB30/UsingtheAdminConsole/Configuration/Content/Errors/MenuTOC.htm... The FTP client has not yet connected to the server. The requested action cannot be performed until after a connection has been established.
Publish failed: The FTP client has not yet connected to the server. The requested action cannot be performed until after a connection has been established.
Saving log to "C:\Users\ljestes\Documents\My Projects!\WRGx\Output\ljestes\Sites\ExternalOLB31\ExternalOLB31.mclog"
</Messages>

So I simply deleted the linked topic to Errors/MenuTOC.htm from the OLB31 TOC.
Publish Complete.

Sigh.
Perhaps the FTP failure message is more of a generic error message than an actual FTP error? Because it makes basically zero sense as to why an errant linked doc could cause an FTP error. But hey.

Perhaps my fix isn't the only one for this issue, but this was mine. It's so anticlimactic.
I hope it helps someone!
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Re: publishing to ftp

Post by tpmtpm56 »

I'm contributing to this now old thread because last week, for the first time, I needed to publish via FTP and found an unlikely solution.
I kept getting the message:
Publish failed: The FTP client has not yet connected to the server. The requested action cannot be performed until after a connection has been established.
The parameters I was using were correct, and I tried both Passive and Active connection mode, with no success.
Then I unselected the option "Upload Log File" and it worked.
I cannot imagine why this would make a difference, but it does – anyone have any idea why uploading the log file would fail publication via FTP?