Search freezes, search filters don't appear

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
MichaelB
Jr. Propeller Head

Search freezes, search filters don't appear

Post by MichaelB »

Hello,
I've got a problem with the search function in a Madcap Flare project.

I have four separate projects covering different applications we develop. Three of the four have a Search function that works fine; type 'test' into the search bar and press the search button, it comes up with 'Your search for "test" returned [however many] result(s)' and displays the results.

One knowledgebase doesn't do this. If you enter 'test' into the search bar and click the search icon, it says 'Your search for returned result(s)' - no mention of the term searched for or a count of found items - and it just gives you the spinning icon in the middle of the screen that usually means it's working on something.

I tried creating search filters as part of my attempt to solve the issue. Not only did this not affect anything, I also noticed that the search filter drop-down didn't appear.

I've looked for similar threads regarding this issue, the author of the only recent similar thread stated it was an intermittent issue, whereas it's a constant issue on my project. I've tested this on Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome with the same result each time. Firefox's console reports "javascript TypeError: y is null", Chrome's console says "Cannot call method 'getElementsByTagName' of null "

If I'm on the internal server where the files are stored and open the default.htm directly rather than use the web address to access the problem knowledgebase, the search function works and the filter drop-down appears.

If it makes any difference, each knowledgebase is contained in its own folder separate from the others - these folders are in C:\inetpub\wwwroot. There's a default.htm in this folder itself that takes the user to a selection screen where they choose which knowledgebase to access, which then accesses the default.htm of the requested knowledgebase.

Other than the search filter, I've tried a couple of other things to fix this:
1) I tried rebuilding the problem project to use the root wwwroot directory and not a subfolder, the issue still occurs.
2) I built the problem project to use another subfolder under wwwroot, same issue.
3) Before I noticed the problem I'd started creating an Index. I deleted the Index once I noticed the problem to see whether this helped, it didn't.
4) I found someone with a similar issue fixed it by setting "ForceUseJS=false" to "ForceUseJS=true" in the MadCapAll.js file - issue still occurred.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way forward?
hornetTC
Propeller Head

Re: Search freezes, search filters don't appear

Post by hornetTC »

Can you try to temporarily use a skin file from a target that works?
If problem persists you know that it is not the skin file that is at fault :)
MichaelB
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MichaelB »

Thanks,
I just tried switching the skin (used one I downloaded at random from the Webhelp Skin Gallery to ensure it wasn't something in my own PC/Flare application's skin creation). Put it onto the internal server, the issue still occurs.

Same as before, if I open the default.htm on the server via Windows rather than using the URL or IP, search works and the search filter comes up. :/
MichaelB
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MichaelB »

I've done a bit of fiddling about and I've fixed the issue.

For anyone who has the same problem; go into your Target settings, into the Publishing section, and untick "include server-side help engine for optimized performance".

It's unticked by default; I'm guessing I must have ticked it while I was messing around with the configuration, and then promptly forgot about it. :oops:
GaryUK
Propeller Head

Post by GaryUK »

MichaelB, it's not you. Flare keeps on ticking this box and I only find out when the search doesn't work. It's happened to me twice. I haven't been able to recreate it but it might be to do with adding a new destination.
SusanL
Propeller Head

Post by SusanL »

Thank you for finding this! I was going to painstakingly go through the target settings for a project where Search worked compared to the project that was giving me a spinning icon instead of results. Clearing the "include server-side help engine for optimized performance" made it start working again, and saved me time in finding it myself! :D
CherylN
Propeller Head

Post by CherylN »

I'm having the same problem. The webhelp works fine on the server. The problem is with the client and Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox can display the search panel without any problems. I've gone into the target and the Publishing tab and tried to uncheck the "include server-side help engine for optimized performance". but don't see the checkbox.

We started debug mode and error "Call was rejected by callee." Internet Explorer 11 is being used.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can try next?

Cheryl
NCLayton801
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by NCLayton801 »

I see this thread is dead for nearly four years,
but I'm hoping someone has new information. I have made sure the "server-side" check box is unchecked, but we are still experiencing this problem. The problem seems dependent on which fields we enter into the search. Precisely, searching for one term returns results, but another search term in the same session will cause the error.
WriterAndrew
Propeller Head

Post by WriterAndrew »

NCLayton801, I've started having reports of this problem on my various help systems as well... some search strings return a list of "hits" very quickly, but for others, I just get an indefinite spinner. Looking in Chrome tools, I also see a couple of "jquery errors" when this spinner appears.

The only "fix" I've found so far is to go into my source folders, delete the contents of the Outputs folders, and then rebuild/republish/redeploy...

My suspicion is that the search database somehow got corrupted, and my above actions rebuilt it from fresh, rather than just updating what is there?