Back and Forward in Topic toolbar - HTML5

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
joannak
Propeller Head

Back and Forward in Topic toolbar - HTML5

Post by joannak »

Hi
I was wondering why there is no option for back and forward tools in the topic toolbar in HTML5 Help (there is in WebHelp).???
Also, is there anyway to display at the bottom of each topic the path how you got there? - (Not the breadcrumbs of where you are in the TOC - that I can do!) - we are thinking of building our troubleshooting project in Flare - and we want users to know how they got to where they end up....

Any help would be appreciated - BTW, I am not a programmer - I don't know how to write javascript so if that's the only answer, I'd appreciate some tips/help. Thank you.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Back and Forward in Topic toolbar - HTML5

Post by NorthEast »

I'm guessing they just dropped back/forward toolbar buttons in HTML5, because you already have a back/forward button in the browser (same applies for 'refresh' and 'stop').

If you really need these buttons, you'd need to add your own custom toolbar buttons for back/forward, and set the Click actions to:

Code: Select all

history.back();

Code: Select all

history.forward();
As for displaying the path; that's probably one for your developers, unless you can find a script somewhere online. The javascript history function will give you all the URLs in the history, but it won't give you topic names which you'd presumably want for the links.
Carla
Propeller Head

Re: Back and Forward in Topic toolbar - HTML5

Post by Carla »

Thanks for these instructions! They worked for me. One issue to watch for: When naming a custom button, make sure to use no spaces. For example, use "Back" instead of "Back Button." Although Flare lets you include spaces, the button icon will be wrong or missing. (This issue is covered in another thread, but I thought it would be helpful addressed here as well.)