HTML5: text in browser tab of output [RESOLVED]

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

HTML5: text in browser tab of output [RESOLVED]

Post by Fiona »

Currently the text in the tab on my browser changes to reflect the page that is being viewed. I would like it always show the same string (and a logo if possible!). How should I go about this?

Thanks.
Last edited by Fiona on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lydia
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: HTML5: text in browser tab of output

Post by Lydia »

You can set a caption in the Skin, on the General tab.
The icon is a different story. I understand you want to use a favicon?
Please check out the solution discussed here for adding your favicon:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =15#p91340
Using Flare 10.2 and Flare 11 on Win 7
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Fiona »

Thankyou Lydia, I managed to get the logo/favicon sorted. However, I must be doing something incorrectly as I'm not getting the caption to work as required.

In the General tab of the Skin I have set the Caption to be as I want it. However, when viewing the generated help it uses this caption as a prefix and then adds the title of the page being displayed (separated by a -). Can anyone advise me w.r.t. removing this second (unwanted) part?
jasonsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by jasonsmith »

Hi Fiona

the Suffix is generated from the <title> element in your Topics and is added automatically during target build. You could delete the Contents of the <title> element by Hand in the Output files or add a non-breaking space to the title in the properties Dialog (but you are left with the Hyphen :-()
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Fiona »

Thanks Jason. Sounds like I'm stuck with it for now.
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: HTML5: text in browser tab of output [RESOLVED]

Post by TeSol »

Hello all,

It's 2022 and I have just switched to HTML5 Side Navigation output from Webhelp output. I am having this problem still i.e. unable to set the text to a fixed string in the browser tab. It changes with the content and I want it to remain as the product name. I cannot find any option to set this in the Skin. Any suggestions? Since some time has passed I am hoping there is a solution somewhere.

Thanks....
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: HTML5: text in browser tab of output [RESOLVED]

Post by NorthEast »

TeSol wrote:Hello all,

It's 2022 and I have just switched to HTML5 Side Navigation output from Webhelp output. I am having this problem still i.e. unable to set the text to a fixed string in the browser tab. It changes with the content and I want it to remain as the product name. I cannot find any option to set this in the Skin. Any suggestions? Since some time has passed I am hoping there is a solution somewhere.

Thanks....
You could only set the title in the skin for HTML5 targets using the Tripane skin, because in the Tripane output there's a single landing page for the help - so you don't open topics directly.
So it makes sense for Tripane, because you needed to set a title for that landing page.

But you can't set it in the skin for Side Nav or Top Nav skins, because you navigate directly to the individual topics, and there is no landing page.

You can set the title in the individual topic, and that will be used for the topic title in search results and on the browser tab.
It wouldn't make much sense to set identical titles for each topic, because you wouldn't be able to tell the pages apart from each other.
But you can insert variables in the title tag, so you could insert a heading variable followed by your own variable for the product name.