Expanding text issues

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Expanding text issues

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Hi,
Is anyone else experiencing issues with expanding text not displaying correctly in HTML5 output?
I'm using Flare 10.2.2.

I have several items listed which are created as expanding text.
Most display and work fine. However, some do not display as expected and instead of the expanding text appearing beneath the text item, every so often one or two in a listing expand and display the text above the text item.
I can't find any major difference between the items in either the XML Editor or the Text Editor, so am scratching my head.
I've tried creating a new one from scratch to replace any that do not work correctly, however, that seems to make no difference.

I think it may be browser-specific, as Opera displays them all correctly.
However, Chrome, Firefox & Safari show up the problem.

Anyone seen a similar problem or have any idea what might be causing it?
Thanks,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Expanding text issues

Post by kwag_myers »

I seem to remember having an issue like this when I first started with Flare and I think there was a bookmark or keyword tab in the MadCap:dropDownHead tags causing the problem. I think you can markers inside the body, but not in the header.

If it's not that, the only thing I can suggest is removing all of the MadCap:drop tags in the Text Editor and try inserting again.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Aha! Thank you for responding.
I tried reinserting the expanding text, but couldn't seem to get around the issue.
I did have bookmarks inserted, but the problem wasn't happening consistently to each one, only some. So, the bookmarks wouldn't have occurred to me to be causing the problem. When I get a chance I will test it without the bookmarks.

I ended up resorting to using Drop-Down Text instead, as its behaviour was consistent at least.
Thanks again.
Feebeegeebee
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
patrishmo
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by patrishmo »

I have sometimes had an issue where the expanded text doesn't display because I accidentally nested a drop down heading with text inside another drop down. That doesn't seem to be your case, but just wanted to put it out there just in case.
yel
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by yel »

I'm using Flare 11.
Expanding text that exceeds the current line forces the text to the next line as though it's a dropdown. Lots of people seem to have issues with this. Has anyone logged a bug?
Johanna
Propeller Head

Post by Johanna »

I seem to have the same issue so sorry, can't help you further yel.
In my case indeed it forces the text to the next line but even worse, it changes the alignment of the original line to justified and this looks really bad :?
smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by smajors »

I'm having this issue as well. It seems to happen for me when there's more text such as several sentences that forces it to drop below the header. If it's one sentence that fits on the same line it doesn't do it. I'm not using bookmarks so I know that can't be the issue. I'm still trying to fix it.
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department
Johanna
Propeller Head

Post by Johanna »

Same problem here. For me the biggest problem is the justified alignment. Sad to see that this is something that is apparently pending already for quite a while.
Anybody found a way to get around this?