Is there a workaround for the hardcoded stop-word list?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Tova Cohen
Jr. Propeller Head

Is there a workaround for the hardcoded stop-word list?

Post by Tova Cohen »

We use Flare 11.1 to generate HTML5 tripane output. We just noticed that a search for the SQL keyword, "between" yields no results when there are a number of topics that refer to this SQL statement. This is because "between" is on a stop-word list. Has anyone found a workaround that disables this list? I contacted Madcap support about this and got this response:

Currently, editing the stop-word list is not a feature that is compatible with HTML5 outputs. This list is hard-coded into the application. I found a hack that will allow you to add words to the stop-word list, but, unfortunately, there is not currently a workaround to remove words from the stop-word list.

I have submitted a feature request on your behalf to our Product Managers who work with our Research and Development team regarding future versions of our products. If this is released in a future version, you'll be notified via email referencing report #111715.

Thanks!
Tova
John Halliday
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Is there a workaround for the hardcoded stop-word list?

Post by John Halliday »

We, also, are stymied by the stop words list. The words about, between, and include are important search terms for us.
We use Flare 2017 r2 to generate HTML5 output.
The help (http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... -Words.htm) indicates that the entire stop word list can be included but I don't see the Include "Stop-Words" in Search checkbox on the target's Performance tab.

Is this "feature" supported for HTML5 output?
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

John Halliday wrote:We, also, are stymied by the stop words list. The words about, between, and include are important search terms for us.
We use Flare 2017 r2 to generate HTML5 output.
The help (http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... -Words.htm) indicates that the entire stop word list can be included but I don't see the Include "Stop-Words" in Search checkbox on the target's Performance tab.

Is this "feature" supported for HTML5 output?
Hi John. I believe the answer to your question is no. The same article you reference begins with "Outputs Supported", and HTML5 is not listed. :(

Granted, it should be supported. And, on a word-by-word basis. :)
John Halliday
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by John Halliday »

What is the procedure for sending a feature request to MadCap?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

Hi John, in answer to your question, https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx

Best of luck. :)
JasonSTI
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by JasonSTI »

We are also running into this issue. We just released our software in beta, and one of our very few users insists on typing full sentences into the Search field like this is Ask Jeeves. "How can I do this?" highlights every instance of the letter "I" in every topic. Ugh.

Submitted a request for enhancement to allow customization of the Stop Words for HTML5 Top Navigation, or at least the addition of "I" to the default Stop Words.