Will not build project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
jbranigan
Propeller Head

Will not build project

Post by jbranigan »

I'm trying to decode the following:

System.Xml.XmlException occurred at 3/31/2016 10:12:18 AM

'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<MadCapExceptionLog localDate="2016-03-31T10:31:52.1889614-04:00" executableVersion="11.1.0.0" executable="Flare" protocol="1"><OS version="Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1" frameworkVersion="4.0.30319.18444" arch="x32"/><Exception source="System.Xml" stackTrace=" at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Char[] data, Int32 length, Int32 invCharPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at B3.XmlKit.CustomXmlReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) at B3.XmlKit.XmlDocumentWrapper.Load(XmlDocument doc, IUrl url, Stream s, Boolean patchHtml) at B3.XmlKit.XmlDocumentWrapper.Load(XmlDocument doc, IUrl urlarg, Boolean patchHtml) at B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultFile.Load(IUrl url, Boolean cacheFile) at B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultFile.TryLoad(IUrl url, Boolean throwExceptions) at B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultTargetFile.LoadOutputFile() at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.GetGeneratedPrimaryTarget(IUrl prim, Boolean build, Boolean promptToView, Boolean isPublishing, Boolean viewAfterBuild, Boolean testCsh) at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.OnProjectBuildThisTargetCommand(CommandContext cc) at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.OnCommand(CommandContext cc) at B3.CatapultMdiFullDependencyKit.CatapultFullDependencyMdiEditor.OnCommand(CommandContext cc) at B3.CatapultMdiFlareFullDependencyKit.CatapultFlareFullDependencyMdiEditor.OnCommand(CommandContext cc) at B3.AppKit.CommandRouter.Invoke(CommandContext cc) at B3.AppKit.CommandRouter.TryInvoke(CommandContext cc)" message="'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1." type="System.Xml.XmlException"/><User machineID="ff6d54c67b425aef9d10debbf667373332fff3e6"/></MadCapExceptionLog>
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Will not build project

Post by Nita Beck »

In your build log, what was the file just above where the build failed? That's probably the file -- or near the file -- that has invalid XML. Find that file in the Content Explorer and attempt to open it. I expect that Flare will alert you that the file is not an XML file and do you want to convert it. Say yes. I suspect that that will fix the error.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
REA
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by REA »

Has there been any updates on this? I'm getting the same message when I try to export a build. In fact, it won't even let me view my former output or view the build log. All I have access to is the Exception log which says the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<MadCapExceptionLog localDate="2017-10-24T13:37:31.4600202-04:00" executableVersion="13.3.6494.23016" executable="Flare" protocol="1">

<OS version="Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1" frameworkVersion="4.0.30319.42000" arch="x64"/>

<Exception source="System.Xml" stackTrace=" at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Char[] data, Int32 length, Int32 invCharPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at B3.XmlKit.CustomXmlReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) at B3.XmlKit.XmlDocumentWrapper.Load(XmlDocument doc, IUrl url, Stream s, Boolean patchHtml) at B3.XmlKit.XmlDocumentWrapper.Load(XmlDocument doc, IUrl urlarg, Boolean patchHtml) at B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultFile.Load(IUrl url, Boolean cacheFile) at B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultFile.TryLoad(IUrl url, Boolean throwExceptions) at B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultTargetFile.LoadOutputFile() at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.GetGeneratedPrimaryTarget(IUrl prim, Boolean build, Boolean promptToView, Boolean isPublishing, Boolean viewAfterBuild, Boolean testCsh, Url viewWithPath) at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.OnProjectBuildThisTargetCommand(CommandContext cc) at B3.AppKit.CommandRouter.Invoke(CommandContext cc) at B3.AppKit.CommandRouter.TryInvoke(CommandContext cc)" message="'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1." type="System.Xml.XmlException"/>

<User machineID="af81501f78c300ed79eae2fac258ae2692e0074c"/>

</MadCapExceptionLog>

I don't know where the system.Xml file is. I've scoured the forums looking for an answer to no avail.
teriMiller
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by teriMiller »

A possible solution is to completely delete your /Output directory. This can be done within Flare: from the Project menu/ribbon, click Clean Project.

I have encountered this error on a few occasions, and 'cleaning the project' in this manner seems to do the trick for me. Good luck.