Printing from Help only prints first page of topic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
jzayac
Jr. Propeller Head

Printing from Help only prints first page of topic

Post by jzayac »

Regardless of using the Print button in the Top Nav taskbar or right-click > Print, users can only print the first page of any open topic. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason—whatever content fits on the first page is printed, and the rest is cut off. Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any idea what would cause this and know how to fix it? I can provide screen shots if they'll be helpful.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Printing from Help only prints first page of topic

Post by roboHAL »

Hi jzayac. I don't think the issue you've described is related to Flare output. I'm assuming you are using HTML5 output. The print functionality (print button in top nav, right click, whatever) merely calls the operating systems Print dialog window. The OS Print window can control the printer, page range and other options.

To troubleshoot there are some things you can try. I suggest printing to PDF and observing what happens. Also, check the Page Range once the Print dialog displays. In the case of a physical printer print a two page word document and observe results. If you have access to more than one physical printer try a different one.
nhhale
Propeller Head

Post by nhhale »

I am having, I believe, the same problem. It appears that the first page of a topic is being treated as an image, rather than as a web page. The print output shows only an arbitrary portion of the first 'page' of topic content AND includes both horizontal and vertical scroll bars in what is printed. I'm investigating the print medium in my stylesheet, to see if something there may be causing this issue, but thought I'd post these additional details as potentially helpful.
Nancy Hutson Hale
Director, Education Services
SalesPage Technologies
http://www.salespage.com
Certified MAD for Flare
DWithers21
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by DWithers21 »

So I am definitely encountering this issue and was actually made aware of it by a customer of ours who uses our online help. We use the HTML5 side nav skin and toolbartopic skin component with the built-in print button enabled, and I'm using Chrome Version 107.0.5304.107 (Official Build) (64-bit).

When I open our online help and navigate to a topic that is long enough that you have to scroll to the bottom of the topic. Then I click the print icon in the topic toolbar and the print panel opens. It shows there is only 1 page to be printed and only shows the content in the topic that is seen before you scroll. It's like it's only capturing what would be captured it I use the "Print Screen" key on my keyboard. I tried using <Ctrl+p> and get the same thing as I do when I click the print button in the topic toolbar. I've included a screenshot of what I see when I click the print button.

It seems to me like the browser is not recognizing there is more content to be included in the print process within the content window of the HTML5 side nav. How can I fix this or can this even be fixed?

Thank you!
Danielle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

DWithers21 wrote:So I am definitely encountering this issue and was actually made aware of it by a customer of ours who uses our online help. We use the HTML5 side nav skin and toolbartopic skin component with the built-in print button enabled, and I'm using Chrome Version 107.0.5304.107 (Official Build) (64-bit)....
Welcome to the forums, Danielle. ;)

Is this the same issue as recently discussed here? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33830
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Note that this bug is fixed in Flare 2022r2.
Or if you're staying with 2022 for the time being, use the patch in that linked topic.
lc4466
Propeller Head

Post by lc4466 »

I'm on the latest 2022 r2 version of Flare and still seeing this issue in our HTML5 output