Font embedding HTML5 outputs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Font embedding HTML5 outputs

Post by Matze »

Hi all,

our company uses a special company font.

I publish PDF outputs, then the company font is embedded in the PDF file, nice so far.

--

But I publish also an HTML5 online help output. Unfortunately external partners have not the company font locally installed and my online help output files are not separately on our server, the external partner downloads one windows software installer which have the online help file included.

When installed, the online help starts in the browser and is looking for the required font. Currently I use not our company font, I use a standard windows font instead to make sure that it looks fine.

But I want to use the company font for my online help :) :) :)

I cannot put the company font in the software installer.
- the file size of the installer is to big.
- our company font is legally protected.
- I´m sure that the fonts have to be installed with windows admin rights.

Have you ideas to fix this issue?

Thx a lot!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Font embedding HTML5 outputs

Post by NorthEast »

To display fonts in HTML5 outputs:
1) Get your font in a web font format (.woff)
2) Define the font in your CSS using @font-face
@font-face is a css rule which allows you to download a particular font from your server to render a webpage if the user hasn't got that font installed.
To define @font-face in your CSS, see: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Matze »

Thx - @font-face is the solution !!!
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Be careful with the licensing of fonts when you use them on a website. Font licensing is a funny thing, and it is something most people overlook. Your font has to be specifically licensed for use on the web, and if you are distributing the font, you need specific permission in the license to distribute it. Even embedding the font in a PDF file is a specific permission granted by the font license.

I've moved to just using fonts I find from the Google font library, since they are open source fonts that I can use without worrying about the licensing implications.

At a company I worked for, they were misusing a corporate font. They thought they "bought" the font for $300. To use it the way the company wanted to, the licencing fee was closer to $30,000. But paying it up front is better than getting sued for mususing the font, like the Jay Leno show was several years ago. They were sued for $2 million in damages. Just a couple of years later, NBC Universal was sued again, this time for $3.5 million in damages. The following quote is important:
But the plaintiff says the licensing agreement did not permit the use of copyrighted font software on NBCU's websites. In addition, NBCU is accused of using a free font software conversion utility offered by an organization called Font Squirrel to convert and alter the typeface font into a format suitable so that it could be embedded onto Internet websites. This purportedly violates licensing terms on modification.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Matze »

Now I´m thinking about my online help which is part of the installed software on a local hard drive.
Does this work: I link from my onlinehelp from a local drive to server location?