Image maps and thumbnails: can they be friends?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Image maps and thumbnails: can they be friends?

Post by tpmtpm56 »

Can an image with hotspots (added using the Image Map Editor) be thumbnailed?
I have an image with 5 hotspots that link to the respective 5 topics in my project.
When I set the image to thumbnail and generate my HTML5 target, the image appears as a thumbnail, but the links do not work.
Is this a matter of selecting the way the thumbnail enlarges, i.e. is it important to select "Mouse Over", or "Hyperlink", or "Popup"?
Or is what I'm fearing true: that thumbnails cannot, for some vague, almost magical reason, be mapped with hotspots, or vice-versa, that an image with hotspots cannot be thumbnailed?
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Image maps and thumbnails: can they be friends?

Post by roboHAL »

That is an interesting observation on your part. While I cannot offer a solution or work-around, I can confirm the behavior you are reporting. I think you should pose your question to MadCap Tech Support :arrow:
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Post by tpmtpm56 »

Got confirmation from MadCap support that a thumbnail and image maps cannot be friends:

"Thank you for contacting MadCap Technical Support. Unfortunately, your suspicions are true; a thumbnail image cannot utilize Image Maps.
This is due to the Image Map and the Thumbnail requiring a mouse actions to initiate. When a image is in a thumbnail, a mouse click expands it and minimizes it so the ability to select an image map is unable to be used. This is true for Mouse Over action as well, as the hover remains when moused over and does not allow for a mouse click."

So there you go. The MapCap responder did say he had submitted a Feature Request for this.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

Thank you for the confirmation. While the fact that it was submitted as a feature request is good news, realistically they could decide not to pursue development of that feature or if they do decide to introduce the feature, it can be a very long time (years) before it makes its way into the product.
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Post by tpmtpm56 »

Yep, not holding my breath.