Auto generate identifiers for sub-folder only?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
clpha6
Propeller Head

Auto generate identifiers for sub-folder only?

Post by clpha6 »

Hi all -- I'm new to Flare as of a couple of weeks ago. I'm still working on my project structure, and currently have it set up like this. I have three user guides; two are customer-facing, and one is internal only. I decided to keep it all in a single project, because there will be many snippets common to all (SO glad to be moving out of Word!!).

We have three web-based UIs, and each UI will only have access to the HTML5 for the corresponding user guide. We don't want there to be crossover; we don't want a user to be able to plug in a different ID in the address for a help page and "accidentally" get to the internal-only help, for example.

I have a sub-folder under Content for each guide. For the alias/header/identifiers, I want UserGuideA to have IDs 1000-1999, UserGuideB to have 2000-2999, and UserGuideC to have 3000-3999. We outsource the UI development, and I want it to be easy for them to know what ID range to use (there will be a general help page for each UI page), and then once I catch up with adding the help to Flare, they can edit their code to add in the specific ID.

I was also hoping to have separate Alias files, but a single header file. I can't figure out how to get UserGuideA content folder into one Alias file, UserGuideB folder contents into another Alias file, etc., and then have all of those merge into a single header file. Do I need separate header files? Is there an automated way to do this, or do I have to create each Alias file manually?
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Auto generate identifiers for sub-folder only?

Post by roboHAL »

Hi clpha6.

First, I assume you are using Flare 2017 r2.

Second, I'm not sure there is any "automated" way per se, especially given that people have different concepts/interpretations of what exactly "automated" can mean. :mrgreen: That said, Flare does have a "Generate identifiers for this project" and you can set various options such as the starting value of the identifier.

In any case, it sounds like you are on the right track. In answer to your question, you can have one or more alias files and you can have one or more header files. Essentially, you can mix and match. With any one particular alias file open, simply right click the Identifier row and choose Options. That will allow you to assign a specific header, if more than one is available.

Therefore, you *can* do what you state you desire, which is to have three separate alias files and one header.

Best of luck. And welcome to the forum :)
kristinrandle1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by kristinrandle1 »

Hi,

I appear to be in the same boat. Still struggling to auto-generate Alias identifiers for only one subfolder's topics. Say I have 3 folders: Overview, Procedures, Fields. I only want CSH for my field topics. It appears, however, I can only auto-generate for topics in ALL folders. All or nothing? With over 500 topics, it's overwhelming to auto generate all, and remove what's not needed.

Thanks,
Kristin
clpha6
Propeller Head

Post by clpha6 »

I ended up using a spreadsheet to automatically set identifiers. I exported my list of topics -- one csv for each folder (which is a book in itself). I started the first one with number 1000, second one with 2000, etc. Now when I add a new topic, I add a line to the spreadsheet and copy the auto-generated info the the appropriate files.

ETA: I used the instructions in this thread to create my spreadsheet: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27611