CSH for online output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

CSH for online output

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi,

I have online output and created everything for CSH, like alias, header file and identifiers etc...

My technical team has configured F1 key for the output to come for particular menu.... I am having two issue...

1. I have made entry for 3 menus linking 3 topics in database table but MadCap output is working for random pages.... not for the set menus
2. Only the first page comes irrespective of menu.......I have set 'startup topic' as default for the output. when home page was set only home page was coming.

Please help me out..if there is anything left at MadCap project end or need to do something at software end

Mritunjay
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: CSH for online output

Post by RamonS »

Typically, F1 help takes the current focus into account. Check if the menu has focus before pressing F1. Other than that...you do not give much information to go by. I also do not know what you mean by "database table". What table is that and what role does it play for CSH?
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Thanks Ramon, database table is nothing but table for mapping the links like, which topic will get open on which click.

So, it is just mapping of menu items and topic's unique Ids.

I am not much aware of technical part but trying know if something needs to be done extra for CSH setting.

Mritunjay
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi all,

Sorry for repeating the Qs.... I am trying to fly...... I have gone through all possible online help but did not get solution of my issue.

I have header file, alias file and done setting in Target's advance setting..... I believe all are in place.

But still CSH is not functioning,only the default page is displaying. Can anyone suggest anything or can list out the setting needs to be done?

Please help, its urgent. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

In my experience, CSH opening random pages indicates that the ID # being referenced by the software is incorrect. Double-check that the ID numbers in the database are the same as those you have set in Flare.

Also, have you tried using Flare's API call test? On the Tools tab, in the Context Sensitive Help group, select Test CSH API Calls. Then try entering the ID numbers from the database into the Topic ID field. If the numbers don't work, there's something wrong with how you have set up the Header/Alias files (or the Header/Alias files don't match the database). If they do work, then there's something wrong with how the developers are calling the IDs.

The other thing I would ask is on the occasions where only the home page is showing, are you using HTML5 output, and if so, what browser are you using? Microsoft Edge does not natively work with CSH if you are using local HTML5 help. If that's your problem, let me know and I'll direct you to the workaround.
Casey

Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Many Thanks Cdschroeder,

I checked API call test, it is working fine. Checked on chrome.

Yes, I am using HTML5 output. And my software(where seeing CSH) runs on mozilla. (version may be issue ?)

I may work on either browser, not IE.

Any other setting needs to be done for final run?

Again many thanks Man.

Cheers
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

If the API test is working fine, then the problem isn't with the Flare files. Our CSH calls work perfectly in Mozilla, so I doubt that is an issue. That means that the issue is probably related to the API call. Here are some things you can check:

1) Try typing in the path manually on a system with your software (http://my.mycompany.com/Default.htm#cshid=1000 [replace with your URL/ID]). If the path works when manually entered, it's definitely an issue with the API call. If it doesn't work, make sure the Flare Header/Alias file was exported to the publish location.
2) Make sure your devs are using one of the formats listed here: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... lopers.htm
3) Double and triple-check the ID numbers that are being called (make sure that the database and the Header/Alias files match up, then make sure that your devs are using the database correctly).
Casey

Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi Cdschroeder,

Sorry to ask silly Qs, I have header file as NewHeader.h so it will be under 'Data' folder with the same name ?

I have two alias files as Alias.js and Alias.xml but did not find any header file, it it under Data folder only?
I have checked all the files under 'Data' folder but did get any file containing header file information.

Please suggest.

Again thanks a ton.

cheers
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi,

Need to clear some points,
1. In my case I am acting as both, author and developer.
2. F1 key is configured for help
3. start page is set as home.htm..... is it ok ?
4. While publishing I have set destination as file type
5. have handover the working file to the system team to upload on server

I have gone through link http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... lopers.htm,

In method one, 5th point says
Developer Add a reference to the JavaScript file (which is created automatically when the author builds the output). This .js file should be named "csh.js." The reference to the JavaScript file should use the following format: <script type="text/javascript" src="[path of file]/csh.js"></script>.

In published output I have two .js files(csh and default) then which file need to use?

Hope these points may help you in making solution.

I may be asking foolish but pls help.

Cheers
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Mritunjay_g wrote:Hi,

In method one, 5th point says
Developer Add a reference to the JavaScript file (which is created automatically when the author builds the output). This .js file should be named "csh.js." The reference to the JavaScript file should use the following format: <script type="text/javascript" src="[path of file]/csh.js"></script>.

In published output I have two .js files(csh and default) then which file need to use?
I'm afraid I don't know enough JavaScript to assist you with the call itself. But based on those instructions, it would appear that your application needs to be referencing csh.js. Make sure you add the actual trigger as well (step 6).

If your help still isn't working after following the steps in the documentation, you may need to call Flare support and have them verify that your calls are formatted correctly.
Casey

Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi,

In step 6 it is said to create a button, In my case F1 key is configured.

Same is working with 'webhelp', made by another developer(left job) but giving issues with HTML5.

Well, thanks Cdschroeder for all your efforts. Can you share with me madcap support link which can entertain my single query?

Cheers
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Casey

Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi,

CSH started working fine, but for output new tab is opening.
How can I get CSH output in popup window with the defined size.

I tried "a.popup" style but did not work.

Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Mritunjay
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Mritunjay_g wrote:Hi,

CSH started working fine, but for output new tab is opening.
How can I get CSH output in popup window with the defined size.

I tried "a.popup" style but did not work.

Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Mritunjay
That sounds like something you'll have to code into the API call. You can use Flare to set how links within your HTML5 output are called (new tab, new window, same tab, etc.), but not how the output itself is called.

If you happen to be using WebHelp (not HTML5 tripane or top nav), you can modify some browser settings in the skin. But I don't think you can choose new tab/window/etc.
Casey

Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Thanks Cdschroeder,

Yes, I am using HTML5. I am not developer but doing developer's job also. I request you to guide me in bit details with example(if possible).

Should I need to modify js files, created after publish? Or modification in master page before publish ?

Please suggest, Thanks in advance.

cheers,
Mritunjay
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

As far as I know, there's nothing in the Flare files (js, masterpage, or otherwise) that you can modify to do what you want. It sounds like something you'll have to specify in the API call itself, and unfortunately, I'm not a developer either so I can't provide you with additional instructions.
Casey

Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Thanks Cdschroeder,

I modify the js page(auto created while publishing) and could achieve the desired result.

Thanks,
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Mritunjay_g wrote:Thanks Cdschroeder,

I modify the js page(auto created while publishing) and could achieve the desired result.

Thanks,
Glad you figured it out and got everything working!
Casey