Issues with CSH Calls for HTML5 Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Issues with CSH Calls for HTML5 Output

Post by todd.richardson »

Hello,

We are replacing the local CHM Help previously installed with our software with local HTML5 Help. As part of this change, we need to update all of our CSH calls throughout the program to point to the HTML5 output (the calls were initially hard-coded, so they currently don't use Flare IDs). I am working with a developer to this end.

We have seen and reviewed the Flare Help content on CSH Help for HTML5 Output:
CSH Calls for HTML5 Output
There are two methods you can use.
Method 1—JavaScript Using this method requires calling a JavaScript function that Flare provides.
Method 2—URL Using this method, you can create a hyperlink to launch the Help system.

Because we are calling the Help from a C# application, we are limited to Method 2. So far, we have not been able to get CSH working.

To start, I assigned unique IDs to two topics in the Alias file, built the output, and provided the developer with the complete HTML5 output. (Note that when I test either CSH ID using Flare's CSH_Test.htm, both tests pass.)

The developer uses the following URL to call the CSH topic (ID #1000):

For some reason, the browser (IE in this case), expands the URL as follows:

Note how the cshid=1000... string is appended a second time. In most cases, the HTML5 skin appears, but the default startup topic is displayed, not the topic mapped to ID #1000.

We've also noticed that the skin does not look right in IE (text overlayed on text, icons missing, etc. - I don't have a capture of this behavior but could get one). Mark Of The Web is enabled in the HTML5 output.

Any idea what is happening here? Any guidance would be most appreciated. Please, also, let me know if there is additional information I should provide.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Issues with CSH Calls for HTML5 Output

Post by devjoe »

I don't know just why IE did all the multiple repeats you see there. But your original string is not in the right format:
  • You have a ? that does not need to be there
  • You have chid instead of cshid.
Try it with these corrections and it should probably work.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Issues with CSH Calls for HTML5 Output

Post by todd.richardson »

Thanks — that worked! Much appreciated.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020