How does Search work in HTML5 server-based help?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
gkidder
Propeller Head

How does Search work in HTML5 server-based help?

Post by gkidder »

I plan to convert to server-based help in order to be able to keep several separate projects and enable searching across all projects in published output. I am hitting some stumbling blocks in designing the new help site site and testing output.

In my initial design, I have set up IIS on my computer, but the search is not completely functioning as I anticipated. On the master page, I'm using the search bar proxy in a header with the skin component HTML5 - Search Bar (the General Skin is set to none). When I preview my help on my computer with IIS, the search works fine from the master project, and gives me results in a child project. However, search does not work at all from a child project. (In fact, when you hit the search button, it does nothing.) I find this vague comment in Flare Help:
"If you want to test HTML5 server-based output on your local computer, the advanced search features of HTML5 are not operable."
Which advanced search features? Does anyone know what this includes?
Some specific questions:
1- Will search initiated from a child project search other (sibling) child projects, as well as parent project?
2- Is the Search Bar proxy and HTML5 skin (and other HTML5 skin components other than Top Nav) supported in server-based help?
3- Does automerging include merging of csh files (aliases)? Can I use these to link between projects?
4- Are there any other guidelines or suggestions about how to link between projects? If I construct manual html links, I just get lots of errors or warnings when I generate about "missing links" or "files outside of project".
arkana
Propeller Head

Re: How does Search work in HTML5 server-based help?

Post by arkana »

Hi,

Did you find answers to these questions? I have very similar questions and would like to know what you have found later or what approach you used in the end. Thanks!
Arthur Cui
Flare 2019