Flare Auto-Generating a Search1.htm file?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
acameron
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare Auto-Generating a Search1.htm file?

Post by acameron »

Hi all -

Have been in contact with support, but haven't found a resolution, so thought I would reach out here. We have a Search.htm file in the Content folder of our project (and essentially in the root of our output). This file includes some modifications from the MadCap Flare Search.htm file. The issue I am having is that when I am running my HTML output, Flare is auto-generating a Search.htm file, so it sees the Search.htm file already there and names the file in the root of my output Search1.htm, which causes all sorts of issues. I have 2 projects where this is happening, and the other 2 are running smoothly. They are all set up in the EXACT same manner.

Attaching screenshots of the broken project for your reference.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare Auto-Generating a Search1.htm file?

Post by cdschroeder »

Do you have Exclude content not linked directly or indirectly from target selected in the advanced tab of your target? If so, Flare will exclude your custom Search.htm page and create its own Search1.htm

The workaround is to add an xref to Search.htm within another page. We added it to our "contact us" page, then created a new xref style:

MadCap|xref.invisible
{
mc-format: ;
display: none;
}

This hides the xref from the output, but keeps the link so that Search.htm is pulled into the output.

I submitted a feature request to let us specify a custom search page in the target, similar to how the home page (startup topic) is specified. Crossing my fingers that this gets added someday.
Casey

acameron
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by acameron »

Casey - thank you SO much for your help. That was exactly my problem and now it is working fine!
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Yay! Happy to help. :)
Casey

Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Sorry to necro this older thread, but I'm encountering a similar issue --- Flare 2018 is generating a Search1.htm file --- but I do not have the Exclude content not linked directly or indirectly from target option checked in my targets. I tried Casey's invisible xref idea anyway but I still end up with the Search1.htm file.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to why this might be happening or how to avoid it?

Thanks,
-jeff
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Hmm... the thread above looks a bit strange to me.
You'll probably get that issue if you create a file called Search.htm, and put it in the root of your Content folder, and use the target option Do not use content folder in output. It would cause a filename conflict as you've chosen to merge your content folder into the root output folder - the same would probably apply to Default.htm, and any other files in the root output folder.

Anyway, to create a custom search page (for HTML5 targets), you just need to create your own topic and insert a search results proxy.

If you do that, Flare doesn't generate a Search.htm file - it'll use your topic for the search results.
The topic filename or location doesn't matter, just make sure only one topic in your project contains the search results proxy.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the prompt reply! I apologize for such a late reply myself. Although I'm subscribed to the topic I didn't see an email notification. D'oh! :oops:

I'm using a template that included a simple Search.htm file. It's in the root of the Content folder, but I'm not using the target option Do not use content folder in output. This is very vexing.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Quick follow-up: I moved the default Search.htm to the Backups folder and then created my own. Basically just a new topic, no heading, and a Search Results proxy. Flare does appear to be using it without creating an alternative Search1.htm, so thanks. But I'm still perplexed as to the cause of the issue, if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. It would be nice to know for the future.

Thanks!
-jeff