Generate list of topic headings in side panel with a proxy?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
mddent01
Propeller Head

Generate list of topic headings in side panel with a proxy?

Post by mddent01 »

Hi

Is there a proxy that can be modified so that it displays a list of the Heading 1 and 2s from the current topic? I have looked at the mini-toc and list of proxies but out of the box they don't seem to do what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Generate list of topic headings in side panel with a pro

Post by cdschroeder »

What version of Flare are you using? That functionality was added to the menu proxy in 2017 R2: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... c-Menu.htm

If you're on an older version and unable to upgrade, you can try Dave Lee's solution: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28643
Casey

cdiamond
Propeller Head

Post by cdiamond »

Note, the new topic menu in Flare allows you to add a TOC of the headings on the page, but does not allow you to select which headings. It only allows you to set Depth. So, if you only want a list of the H2 headings on the page, you cannot use the proxy because it will include H1 and H2.

If you want better control of which headings to display, Dave Lee's solution (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28643) works well. You can edit the script to specify which headings to display.

The only problem is that I can only get it to work in Web output, not in PDF output. Would be great if this functionality were supported by Flare's Topic Menu Proxy > Headings option.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I did it with the menu proxy. I don't currently have Flare, but I think I created a menu skin that I used with the menu proxy and set Level 1 to display: none as I didn't want the H1 to display in the menu.

Here's a screenshot of the test output I did. You can see the H1 isn't in the menu on the right.
flare-menu-proxy-no-h1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdiamond
Propeller Head

Post by cdiamond »

Psider, Thank you. Because of your message, I tried a few other things and I think I got it. In the Menu proxy, select (default), then deselect "Context sensitive" and under depth, select "2."

It works! It only shows H2s within the topic.

Thank you!