Tablet and mobile formatting

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ExonS
Jr. Propeller Head

Tablet and mobile formatting

Post by ExonS »

Hello, I am just about to update my HTML5 output which has been used in the Web environment for 5 years to also now work well in the tablet and mobile environment. In the reference content it currently uses a lot of tables which I don't believe will work well in the other environments. I was thinking of converting the table contents to possibly dropdowns or expanding text. Can anyone recommend the advantages of one over the other; or suggest an alternative please? Thank you :)
Jbleasdale
Propeller Head

Re: Tablet and mobile formatting

Post by Jbleasdale »

Ahhh tables... :roll:

I have had similar issues. My main way of dealing with the few tables that have yet to be eradicated from my topics are carefully making sure the column sizes are set to responsive values like percent rather than fixed values like pixels. That helps greatly. I found it best to have the table set to 100% width of the container it is in, so that it scales properly when the screen size shrinks down.

In terms of dropdown text, that is a possibility, but it just presents a different issue really - which is page length. I see it as the lesser of the two evils though.

You may also want to look at the responsive layout editor, which is essentially the foundation grid. This allows you to create div structures that are very similar to tables, and with some nice styling it can behave in much the same way. This may well be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut and depending on the complexity of your tables, may not be suitable.

Whilst this webinar is focusing on HTML design, Scott does a great run through of the responsive editor which may be of help to your situation - https://www.madcapsoftware.com/webinars ... l5-design/
Joe Bleasdale

My Linkedin

ExonS
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Tablet and mobile formatting

Post by ExonS »

Yes, the tables are set to responsive values. The table format is actually taking up more room from a page length perspective than the dropdowns. I've used the responsive layout editor once on a website, I can't think that it could help here but I'll take a look at the link you posted - thank you :)