autonumber in image captions does not increment correctly

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
seropes
Jr. Propeller Head

autonumber in image captions does not increment correctly

Post by seropes »

I'm relatively new to Madcap Flare. I'm using Flare v.9 to create a user guide for PDF and web targets. I wanted to add captions to my images, and I wanted the captions numbered. Searching the in-app help produced an article entitled "How Did You Do That? Image Captions—PDF" which seemed to include the instructions I wanted. I followed them to create a new style class called p.figure in which mc-auto-number-format has been filled in with CH:Figure {chapnum}-{n+} as per the instructions.

The result works fine in the PDF output: the image caption autonumber increments correctly based on the chapter and image number, so for example the second image in the third chapter shows as "Figure 3-2".

The problem I'm having is that in the HTML5 version of the output, images in the first chapter are correctly numbered, but all images in subsequent chapters show 2 as the chapter number -- even if it's chapter 5 or 6 or 8.

The p.figure style was created in the default medium, so it appears in both the print medium style sheet and the mobile (or web) medium style sheet.

I'd be grateful for any assistance. Thx!
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: autonumber in image captions does not increment correctl

Post by cdschroeder »

I've seen this issue with regular chapter numbers in PDFs. Even though your issue is with HTML5 output, I think the Chapter Break and Auto-number settings in the TOC are still controlling the numbering system.

To check this: Open the HTML5 TOC and view the properties of the first topic in each chapter (starting with Chapter 3). On the Printed Output tab, make sure Break Type is Chapter Break. And on the Auto-numbers tab, make sure that the Chapter Number is set to Increment.

If you are using the same TOC for both HTML5 and PDF, and all settings appear correct, I'm not sure where to go from there. I also haven't used Flare 9, so there might be some differences.
Casey

seropes
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by seropes »

That did the trick! Thank you Casey, and rock on!
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Yay!!! Happy to help. :)
Casey