Best tool for find/replace in output HTM files?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Best tool for find/replace in output HTM files?

Post by TR Lisa »

I need to do a find and replace in all of my output HTM topic files, but it needs to find and replace in the source code. Can anyone recommend a free tool for this?

Back story. My master page somehow got a random "k" in the top left corner, so now every topic has that "k". Obviously I can't find and replace on just "k", so I need to grab some of the code around it to make sure I'm replacing this "k" only. For example: <body>k<script src="https://www.google.com/jsapi" type="text/javascript"></script>

I just built and copied 3GB of output files to the staging server, which takes 10+ hours to copy, and THEN noticed the offending "k". Re-building and re-starting that 10-hour copy is not desirable :) Really needed to push the files live today.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Best tool for find/replace in output HTM files?

Post by roboHAL »

Try getting a hold of a free version (there are pay-for versions as well) of Windows Grep.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Notepad++ is free for windows and could do the job.
I also have a paid-for version of the FAR Help tool that can do just about anything with find/replace.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Grep to the rescue! Thank you for saving me the time of searching for and trying out different tools to find the one that worked. I'll take a look at Notepad + + too but grep was the first one I tried and worked exactly as expected. So rare these days!

And lesson learned. Never smoke test a big project on a Friday. It's amazing the things you see on Monday morning that were "invisible" on Friday afternoon. :)