Runtime Merging: Build Failed Error

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
peterb
Propeller Head

Runtime Merging: Build Failed Error

Post by peterb »

Hello all, first post on the forum.

I have a master project and a child project (both utilizing the HTML5 - Tripane target), and I am trying to link to the child project in the master project TOC through runtime merging. I have been successful at this on occasion in the past, but for the last several days I have been getting a build error on the child project when building the master project: "Build failed: The process cannot access the file '[location]\HTML5 -Tripane\Date\Search.s3db.gif-wal' because it is being used by another process."

Maddening! I have attempted multiple tests to see what is going wrong. I am unable to resolve the issue, but I have discovered the following facts:
[*]When the master project TOC contains the link to the child project, the master project will not build (fails for the reason above).
[*]When the master project TOC contains the link to the child project, the child project will not build on its own (fails for the above reason).
[*]When the link to the child project is removed from the master project TOC, both the master project and child project will successfully build.

So I am confused as to why Flare (2017 r3, by the way) is unable to access this file and fails to build only when linked in the master project TOC, and unfortunately I am having trouble finding specific information about this scenario on the web. Has anyone run into this? Or do you have an idea of what may be going wrong? Please help; thank you!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Runtime Merging: Build Failed Error

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll find them very informative. 8)

I can't help specifically with your problem but can suggest an alternative approach.

Could you use global project linking (GPL), where you import the child project into the parent project and then you only have to build the parent project? (There's a good bit more to it, but that's the general gist of GPL). There are lots of threads on using the GPL approach on here, so do a search in the forums and you should soon come across something useful.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
peterb
Propeller Head

Post by peterb »

Thank you for that suggestion. It's interesting...I thought what I was doing WAS global project linking; my understanding of GPL was that content from the parent project flows down to the child projects via their individual import files, but nothing flows back up (i.e., there is no import file in the parent project calling child content). I was using runtime merging in the Master TOC for the purpose of having all child content "indexed" and searchable in one place.

As you can probably guess, we are in an early stage of developing project structure. It's not surprising to make a new conceptual discovery like this at this stage of the game. I will look into this option, as it sounds like what you're describing would work just as well as what I was attempting (only in reverse, sort of). Thanks again!

I am still curious if anyone has any idea what could have been causing my initially stated error, so please reply if you think you might have a clue for me. Thanks!
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Hi Peter,
I use runtime merging on several projects and haven't encountered any problems for a long time. <crossing fingers immediately...>
I have a vague recollection of something similar happening a long time ago.
Have you tried cleaning both projects?
I would run up the child project only, clean the project and then attempt to build it.
If that is successful, close the child project and then launch the parent project.
Clean the parent project and then try to build it.
There may be a file hanging oaround in the child project that is causing this hang up.
Good luck.
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
-----------------------------------------------------
peterb
Propeller Head

Post by peterb »

Hello, all. Thanks for your replies. I wanted to return to this thread to report on what I believe is the solution to my issue (for posterity).

What seems to have been causing the problem was that the Output Folder on the target of both the master project and the child project were set to the same location. Changing these to different locations from one another allowed the build to complete successfully.

For as long as I have been troubleshooting this issue, the advice I was getting was that two elements were the same and thus conflicting with each other. I tried renaming Output Files (in target) so that they didn't conflict. I tried renaming TOC entries so that they didn't conflict. In the end, perhaps it was some combination of these plus the different Output Folders that finally solved the problem.

I know this isn't a totally definitive answer, but perhaps it can at least get you on the right path to troubleshooting your own issue, should you be reading this for that purpose. Good luck to you!