Text Highlight behvior

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
chrisj
Propeller Head

Text Highlight behvior

Post by chrisj »

I've run into a curious issue with the text highlight toolbar button in my HTLM5 output (using the latest version of Flare). If a user searches for a long string of text, say a full sentence, once they open a link from the search results and click the text highlight toolbar button, some of the words in the string will be removed altogether, rather than just having the highlight removed. Any ideas on if this is something I can work to fix, or if I just have to live with the occasional user who starts to have content disappear on them?
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
DaveMags
Propeller Head

Re: Text Highlight behvior

Post by DaveMags »

I ran some tests after reading your post, and just so you know you're not seeing things, and maybe to eliminate the idea that you did something to break it :) , I found the same issue in my project. Once a search gets to around 60-70 characters the Remove Highlights button does indeed remove entire words. I didn't try to figure out any patterns beyond the length of the search. We also use the latest version of Flare. I'll submit a bug report.
DaveMags
Propeller Head

Post by DaveMags »

Hi Chris - So I did put in that bug report and Madcap already replied to me. Apparently it is a known issue, but the issue they say is not the length of the search terms, but repeated terms. So, for example, a search of "New York New Jersey" would encounter this bug, and it's the repeated word "New" that would be removed when a user clicks Remove Highlights. I tested it out and that does seem to be the case. I presume people searching long strings like an entire sentence are just more likely to repeat a word.

Madcap says there is no solution or fix that we could do to resolve and they don't have an ETA to report, but that they have it reported and tracked with the dev team and that I'll get an email if a resolution is part of a future patch or release.

Hope that info helps.
chrisj
Propeller Head

Post by chrisj »

DaveMags wrote:Hi Chris - So I did put in that bug report and Madcap already replied to me. Apparently it is a known issue, but the issue they say is not the length of the search terms, but repeated terms. So, for example, a search of "New York New Jersey" would encounter this bug, and it's the repeated word "New" that would be removed when a user clicks Remove Highlights. I tested it out and that does seem to be the case. I presume people searching long strings like an entire sentence are just more likely to repeat a word.

Madcap says there is no solution or fix that we could do to resolve and they don't have an ETA to report, but that they have it reported and tracked with the dev team and that I'll get an email if a resolution is part of a future patch or release.

Hope that info helps.
Thanks a bunch for the reply!
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
DaveMags
Propeller Head

Post by DaveMags »

Full circle on this thread - Madcap let me know that this bug is resolved in 2020 r2. I haven't updated our Flare versions yet to test it out, but I assume they are telling the truth. :)