Files required for dropdown and expanding text

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ajpeck123
Propeller Head

Files required for dropdown and expanding text

Post by ajpeck123 »

Hi,

To set the scene...
I'm created some HTML5 help, but not for a help "system". Each individual topic is linked to a web app page, and there is no cross linking between topics. Each topic opens in its own fixed-size browser window that can be moved and scrolled but not enlarged.
I'm using Flare 2017 r3.

So, I don't need skins, menus, search, index... glossary may prove useful in the sense of on-page definitions, but not as a separate topic in any sense. I have used a ToC and set "don't include anything not explicitly linked" to generate the correct set of files - much simpler than conditional text across the file set.

I have to incorporate some of these - particularly a skin - when defining a project. This means I have a lot of stuff that is totally irrelevant in the output folder. Plus the ToC, which is irrelevant once the project has built.

The developers are taking the output and including it in the install for the product. Because of the nature of the areas in which these products are used, unnecessary files are frowned on.

So, I know we need: the topic files, the css file, the images... but what do I need for the dropdowns/expanding text to work? Looking at the filenames of the .js files, most seem irrelevant. There are a fantastic number linked to in the header of each file. Can I just delete these?

Thanks in advance...

Alison
Alison
Lone technical author - Flare user since March 2017
Currently using Flare 2020
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Files required for dropdown and expanding text

Post by GeorgeBell »

Hi Alison,

It can often be tricky to understand a concept at times.

Is the dropdown and expanding text unique to each Topic? If so, it will normally be coded within the Topic.

On the other hand, are there dropdowns and expanding text used in multiple Topics.

At the following URL, you can see that I have a "More..." link which opens a "Dropdown". But I also have hyperlinks to one single file which provides details about the Beginning and Ending Codes.

http://www.duxburysystems.com/documenta ... tting.htm

You can also "View Source" from the above.

Is this anywhere near what you are wanting to achieve?

George
ajpeck123
Propeller Head

Re: Files required for dropdown and expanding text

Post by ajpeck123 »

Hi George,
Yes, that's the general idea. It's working OK - but I have a lot of .js files in the output that I'm pretty sure I'm not using. Without knowing what they are for, I don't know which I need to include. It may be that I just need to include the lot regardless - not quite what I was hoping for, but if that's the way it is. :?
Alison
Lone technical author - Flare user since March 2017
Currently using Flare 2020