Report on topics in built output that aren't in the TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
minicyclist
Propeller Head

Report on topics in built output that aren't in the TOC

Post by minicyclist »

Hi,

I'm trying to make sure there are no topics in my output that aren't in the TOC. I'm excluding content not linked to, however there may be some cross-refs in current topics to topics that have been removed from the TOC, and so these topics are included in the output.

I can use Flare or Analyzer at the pre-build stage to get a report on topics not in my TOC, however, there are hundreds of these and I'd rather avoid stepping through one-by-one and checking their links. Instead, I just want to find out which topics are included in the build that aren't in the TOC. Not as straightforward as I assumed!

Grateful for tips.

Ian
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Report on topics in built output that aren't in the TOC

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

<caveat on>Just thinking off the top of my head, this might not work. <caveat off>

1. Make a copy of your project and work in the copy, as you'll be doing a fair bit of deleting.
2. Using Analyzer, analyse your original project to identify the topics not in your TOC.
3. In the COPY project, outside of Flare delete those topics.
4. Using Analyzer, analyse the COPY project to see if there are any broken cross-refs.

Would that do the trick for you?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
minicyclist
Propeller Head

Post by minicyclist »

Thanks ChoccieMuffin! Seems like a good workaround. I was hoping I could just work from the original, but in the absence of that feature, yours is a good alternative.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

This has been a major limitation of Analyzer, that it only considers the whole project and not the output that would result from applying the conditions in a specific target. Conditions can cause problems that don't show up in Analyzer output, such as:
  • Otherwise valid links to be broken because the target of the link is excluded
  • Topics to not be in a TOC in an output, because they are in some other output's TOC
  • Topics to be unused, because the topic that links to them is excluded
I submitted a feature request for this just now.