AWS Managed Elasticsearch integration

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
araine
Jr. Propeller Head

AWS Managed Elasticsearch integration

Post by araine »

I'm currently experimenting with tying a documentation site into elasticsearch. However, I'm having numerous problems getting AWS Managed Elasticsearch instances to work with Flare's publishing. Based on documentation, I can see two likely sources of issues:

1) Flare docs say that it supports Elasticsearch 5.6 only; AWS only provides 5.5, 6.0, or 6.2. Does anyone have experiences using more advanced versions of Elasticsearch with Flare?
2) Flare seems to use the TPC transport protocol ports in all of the examples (port 9200); AWS ES only supports the HTTP/HTTPS protocol. Has anyone successfully found a way to integrate the two?

To be clear, what I'm seeing is (with various configurations) 400 or 403 errors attempting to talk to the AWS url (while a browser is definitely able to access the ES instance from the same machine); the Content Manager for Flare simply says it's unable to connect to the target. I've tried running the Content Manager in console mode, but that seems to have made the Target Manager prone to crashing and restarting. Connecting to a default install of ES on the local machine worked successfully; installing the bundled 5.6 ES version in its place seemed to work for purposes of local testing, but didn't actually seem to do more than create an index in the local ES instance (publishing fails, though searching works when viewing the preview of the site).
psflare
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: AWS Managed Elasticsearch integration

Post by psflare »

I am also stuck with the similar error.
Has anyone tried any AWS setup with ElasticSearch?
Ken Billing
Propeller Head

Post by Ken Billing »

I'm also having problems getting ES to work on an Azure VM so I'll be watching this post.
Ken Billing | Technical Writer
BlueCielo ECM Solutions
http://www.bluecieloecm.com

JRtechw
Propeller Head

Post by JRtechw »

A little bit late to the party, but I'm currently trying to set up ElasticSearch on an Azure web app container, and yeah, the instructions provided (and that haven't been updated since ElasticSearch was rolled out) simply don't cater for environments like that. They assume the user has an on-premises bog-standard web server with IIS installed.

If I manage to get it working, I'll post up the steps here, see if they shed any light.
Chris B
Propeller Head

Post by Chris B »

Did anyone get this successfully up and running?